cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Updated BYU lineup

1 Murdock (24) Loyd (12) Morgan (4)
2/3 Burgess (24) Jimmer (20) Loyd (4)
Cummard (32)
4 JT (30) Collinsworth (10)
5 TP (30) Miles (10)

Rose should redshirt (does he even have a redshirt available?)
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
Ace Tomato Co.

Ace Tomato Co. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
1 Murdock (24) Loyd (12) Morgan (4)
2/3 Burgess (24) Jimmer (20) Loyd (4)
Cummard (32)
4 JT (30) Collinsworth (10)
5 TP (30) Miles (10)
I basically agree, with the following changes (keep in mind these are my thoughts after only seeing one game):

1: Murdock, with Loyd off the bench
2: Jimmer
3: Cummard
4: JT, with Collinsworth off the bench
5: TP, with Miles off the bench

Loyd, Jimmer & Murdock can share minutes at the 1 & 2, and JT-TP-Miles can share minutes at the 4 & 5. I like Cummard on the floor at the 3 for a majority of the game.

Burgess & Vuc should provide only a tiny bit of support off the bench, maybe a few minutes per game. I don't think Morgan adds anything at all.

I'd like to only have an 8 player rotation...but that will leave us a little skinny up front if TP & Miles get into foul trouble.

I think Loyd could crack the starting lineup over Murdock if he develops fast enough - he looked good last night - most important, he looked quick enough to defend the guards in the MWC.

Bright Spot: Jimmer. Niiiiiiiiiiice to have him for 4 years. He's going to be a stud.

JT is an awesome college player, but seems like a real jackass to have as a teammate - did anyone else notice him coaching all the other players? Of course, if his shot is falling like it was in the first half, I guess you put up with his personality.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I still think Lamont is Murdocks main backup.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tomato Co. View Post
I basically agree, with the following changes (keep in mind these are my thoughts after only seeing one game):

Loyd, Jimmer & Murdock can share minutes at the 1 & 2, and JT-TP-Miles can share minutes at the 4 & 5. I like Cummard on the floor at the 3 for a majority of the game.

Burgess & Vuc should provide only a tiny bit of support off the bench, maybe a few minutes per game. I don't think Morgan adds anything at all.

I'd like to only have an 8 player rotation...but that will leave us a little skinny up front if TP & Miles get into foul trouble.

I think Loyd could crack the starting lineup over Murdock if he develops fast enough - he looked good last night - most important, he looked quick enough to defend the guards in the MWC.

Bright Spot: Jimmer. Niiiiiiiiiiice to have him for 4 years. He's going to be a stud.

JT is an awesome college player, but seems like a real jackass to have as a teammate - did anyone else notice him coaching all the other players? Of course, if his shot is falling like it was in the first half, I guess you put up with his personality.
Burgess definitely will start and IMHO will hold off Jimmer for the starting job the entire season, though Jimmer will become an important piece of the team.

I get the feeling JT is very popular on the team, actually. When he's on the bench, he's the biggest cheerleader, getting everyone pumped up.

Rose doesn't usually do a three guy for two position rotation as much as I would think a coach would do. And I think you will find that TP is nearly 100% a 5, Miles nearly 100% a 5 backing him up. JT nearly 100% a 4 and Collinsworth nearly 100% a 4 backing him up.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tomato Co. View Post

Really? I don't think Jimmer is better than Burgess at this point and I don't think he becomes better at any point this year. Burgess is a much better perimeter defender and shoots nearly as well. Jimmer will not supplant Burgess at the 2 this year. More likely, Collinsworth worms his way in at the 4 and JT and Cummard each move over a spot, putting Burgess on the bench.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I still think Lamont is Murdocks main backup.
So far, I don't think he will ever be a contributer other than in weird match-up situations. Rose likes combo guards too much. His pgs all shoot the ball well after getting it up the court.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
K-dog

Quote:
Burgess definitely will start and IMHO will hold off Jimmer for the starting job the entire season, though Jimmer will become an important piece of the team.

I get the feeling JT is very popular on the team, actually. When he's on the bench, he's the biggest cheerleader, getting everyone pumped up.

Rose doesn't usually do a three guy for two position rotation as much as I would think a coach would do. And I think you will find that TP is nearly 100% a 5, Miles nearly 100% a 5 backing him up. JT nearly 100% a 4 and Collinsworth nearly 100% a 4 backing him up.
I agree with you on Rose's tendency to not mix players across positions. The only exception to that has been modifying a line-up to exploit or defend an advantage. He went small last year a few times moving KT to the 5 and he has gone big moving cummard to the 2.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Really? I don't think Jimmer is better than Burgess at this point and I don't think he becomes better at any point this year. Burgess is a much better perimeter defender and shoots nearly as well. Jimmer will not supplant Burgess at the 2 this year. More likely, Collinsworth worms his way in at the 4 and JT and Cummard each move over a spot, putting Burgess on the bench.
I guarantee you Burgess won't end up a bench warmer. He's the glue of the team this year.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I guarantee you Burgess won't end up a bench warmer. He's the glue of the team this year.
Having seniors at both guard spots to start the year should help us off to a good start as well.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #10
Ace Tomato Co.

Ace Tomato Co. is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Valid points - as I watch this team, I'm hoping we see more of Jimmer & Loyd and less of Burgess & Murdock. I realize this is all opinion stuff and I may be wrong about Burgess & Murdock, but neither of them seems to bring what Jimmer & Loyd can. I do feel good about saying that Rose will sit people who aren't contributing - its nice to have confidence in the HC.

Tough to say whether JT is popular with his team or not. I guarantee you that if he keeps up the on-court coaching and giving pointers from the bench, his teammates will tire of it. It's a long season.

All of this being said, I'm very excited for this year. We are going to be tough to beat, and the MWC is weaker overall (I think we cruise with easy wins over UNLV, SDSU, and AF). Utah might be a tough matchup, and Wyoming's guards will give everybody trouble -- but we'll rise to the top.