cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2008, 01:30 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Homeschooling is believing the world cannot be redeemed

Parents who worry that there kids will be "destroyed" in public schools.

Why not have the attitude that by sending your kid to the school, your kid is going to be a positive influence and help others. You know, sort of like missionary work?

Homeschooling (I am talking about the ones that do it because they think their kids will be negtatively influenced) is about retreating. It's not about engaging the world. The counter argument they will offer is "they have plenty of time to engage the world as adults, but in the meantime we don't think it is a good idea for them to engage the world as children. Better that they do so after they are out of the home and out of our influence."

The inherent unbelief in the world is distressing and disappointing, and that is why I think the Brethren are quietly opposed to homeschooling.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:25 AM   #2
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't know anything about homeschooling. My sister doesn't home school because she is racist or trying to shelter her kids. They honestly believe that the best way to teach their kids is in the home.

http://www.tjed.org
Old 03-07-2008, 02:36 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
You don't know anything about homeschooling. My sister doesn't home school because she is racist or trying to shelter her kids. They honestly believe that the best way to teach their kids is in the home.

I clearly stated I wasn't talking about these people.

Now are you going to argue that there are no homeschoolers that are doing so because of racism and "the word is evil"?

I'm really big on the idea that people in the community need to pitch in and work together. These people may think "it's the best for my family" but is it the best thing for the community?

Vaccination is a good example of this. These anti-vaccine folks DEPEND on other people getting their vaccines, but they don't want their own kids to shoulder any risk for the community. Like these homeschoolers.

The world (and the gospel) is about teamwork. Homeschooling, in my opinion, is not.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:42 AM   #4
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I clearly stated I wasn't talking about these people.

Now are you going to argue that there are no homeschoolers that are doing so because of racism and "the word is evil"?

I'm really big on the idea that people in the community need to pitch in and work together. These people may think "it's the best for my family" but is it the best thing for the community?

Vaccination is a good example of this. These anti-vaccine folks DEPEND on other people getting their vaccines, but they don't want their own kids to shoulder any risk for the community. Like these homeschoolers.

The world (and the gospel) is about teamwork. Homeschooling, in my opinion, is not.
So homeschoolers are the same as anti-vaccination? Wouldnt it be better for the community if people decide to home school? They still pay their taxes but the public schools have less kids to worry about
Old 03-07-2008, 02:44 AM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

Right, and he said he's not talking about all homeschoolers. But there is a subset of homeschoolers that is terrified to have their kids experience the real world. Maybe not in your part of the country, but where I am, there are families that keep their kids at home to shelter them. These ones are more likely to keep their kids home all twelve years, and more likely to be highly judgmental of parents who let their kids go to secular schools. And after their kids finish the high school curriculum, they send them to ultra-conservative Bible colleges in hopes that they can hide from the real world a few years longer.

Your sister may not be one of the families Mike describes, but they're definitely out there.

Now, where the racism thing comes in, I have no idea. It's too bad we can't read the guy's paper, because I don't get that at all.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:45 AM   #6
BarbaraGordon

oops. When I started my post Mike hadn't replied yet.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Right, and he said he's not talking about all homeschoolers. But there is a subset of homeschoolers that is terrified to have their kids experience the real world. Maybe not in your part of the country, but where I am, there are families that keep their kids at home to shelter them. These ones are more likely to keep their kids home all twelve years, and more likely to be highly judgmental of parents who let their kids go to secular schools. And after their kids finish the high school curriculum, they send them to ultra-conservative Bible colleges in hopes that they can hide from the real world a few years longer.

Your sister may not be one of the families Mike describes, but they're definitely out there.

Now, where the racism thing comes in, I have no idea. It's too bad we can't read the guy's paper, because I don't get that at all.
BG, don't bother. They don't get it.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:03 AM   #8
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I am of the opinion that LDS homeschoolers and Evangleical homeschoolers are two different breeds. Maybe not in Utah but certainly out here. There are some homeschooled kids in my ward and they seem like normal kids. I wonder if this isn't due to the socialization they get through seminary, mutual, etc?

But I know some realy whack job families who clearly fit the profile Barbara is talking about.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I am of the opinion that LDS homeschoolers and Evangleical homeschoolers are two different breeds. Maybe not in Utah but certainly out here. There are some homeschooled kids in my ward and they seem like normal kids. I wonder if this isn't due to the socialization they get through seminary, mutual, etc?

But I know some realy whack job families who clearly fit the profile Barbara is talking about.
My best friends were non-Mormons that I met in school. I hate to think that I would have never met those people because I was homeschooled.

Of course I went to very good public schools, probably equivalent to a very good private school. I grew up in a college town where people didn't send their kids to private schools for the most part. Zulu can attest to this. He moved in during HS, and was blown away by the rigor as compared to the urban high school he had attended previously.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:11 AM   #10
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I am of the opinion that LDS homeschoolers and Evangleical homeschoolers are two different breeds. There are some homeschooled kids in my ward and they seem like normal kids. I wonder if this isn't due to the socialization they get through seminary, mutual, etc?
And evangelical homeschoolers don't go to church? I don't follow that last part.

Anyhow, there are lots of networks available for homeschool kids now, so they still play sports and do band and that kind of thing. I think there are much "healthier" homeschool options than there were back when Flash was a kid.