cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chinese experts dissemble this

http://www.thesourceoflove.com/english.pdf

I recognize the characters but don't have the scholarship to know what part is bs and what part is not.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:19 AM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

The guy's PhD is in genetics. I'm going home to Cali in a few weeks, I'll show this to my parents (it's dang fascinating).

For now I'll verify what I can.

Quote:
The character for sheep ( ) is a picture of the front view
of a sheep (Figure 1). It shows the two horns and a mouth and
a nose.29 The Chinese character for blessing is also
written as ( ). The left part ‘ is the radical (the
‘ABCS’ of the writing) for ShangDi. Thus the Chinese
perceived the sheep to be a blessing from God.
Blessing is pronounced shyang; yang radical is more likely phonetic than an ideograph for lamb.

Quote:
A sacrificial sheep that represents blessing and bearer of
sins also means reconciliation to the Chinese. The character
( ) meaning to harmonise and to adjust suggests
that the kindness of a sheep can calm down two fires (Figure
4).34 The centre of the two fires ( ) is replaceable with
word ( ), sheep ( ) and a big T ( ). The big hand
( ) written below the sheep, and in between two fires
suggests that a person is trying to harmonise the two fires
with the help of the meekness and the kindness of a sheep.
I don't know what word he's referring to. He says it's pronounced xie, and there is a word xie that means harmonize, but it looks like this: .

A word that means adjust and looks like what he's drawing is bian. It looks like this: . The two characters sandwiching "word" in the middle mean silk, not fire, like he's saying.

But the number of religious words with the lamb radical is pretty compelling. I'll get back to you. Fun stuff.

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 01-03-2008 at 04:23 AM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the most scholarly and outwardly credible article I have seen on the purported relationships between the Bible and Chinese cultural traditions/language. Although the topic is fascinating, I would urge caution before passing judgment. For many years, evangelicals and creationists have used this theory as fodder in their attempts to argue for a literal interpretation of the creation, flood, tower of babel, etc.

In fact if you ever have a delayed Delta connection in Cincinnati and want a true out of body experience, visit the Creation Museum which is located about 10 miles west of the airport. When I visited they had an entire exhibit devoted to this topic. I claim no knowledge of Chinese, but recall there was great emphasis devoted to the apparent fact that the Chinese symbol for boat is a combination of the symbols for vessel, eight and persons. Hard to leave that museum without wearing a Huckabee pin.

Of course the flip side to this argument is based on the timeline of creation stories ascribed to various cultures:

Egyptian Creation Story: 3800 BC
Aztec Creation Story: 3114 BC
Genesis: 1440 - 1400 BC

The resident CG biblical scholars (CHC and Solon where are you?) can address this topic with much more clarity.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Thank you for the most scholarly and outwardly credible article I have seen on the purported relationships between the Bible and Chinese cultural traditions/language. Although the topic is fascinating, I would urge caution before passing judgment. For many years, evangelicals and creationists have used this theory as fodder in their attempts to argue for a literal interpretation of the creation, flood, tower of babel, etc.

In fact if you ever have a delayed Delta connection in Cincinnati and want a true out of body experience, visit the Creation Museum which is located about 10 miles west of the airport. When I visited they had an entire exhibit devoted to this topic. I claim no knowledge of Chinese, but recall there was great emphasis devoted to the apparent fact that the Chinese symbol for boat is a combination of the symbols for vessel, eight and persons. Hard to leave that museum without wearing a Huckabee pin.

Of course the flip side to this argument is based on the timeline of creation stories ascribed to various cultures:

Egyptian Creation Story: 3800 BC
Aztec Creation Story: 3114 BC
Genesis: 1440 - 1400 BC

The resident CG biblical scholars (CHC and Solon where are you?) can address this topic with much more clarity.
If they have an IQ over 80 apologists are liars. This is an absolute rule.

I hadn't paid much attention to this thread but now I see why it was red meat for Chino, the resident purveyor of tawdry apologetics.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a reason certain "myths" are part of the collective human experience, and it isn't due to some Jungian psychological archetypes.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

probably way off topic, but I remember the chinese elders in my mission talking about the character for some religious word (vision or prayer or something like that I assume) being written like 2 flaming personages hovering over some trees. They thought it was it was the coolest thing ever.

They also used to laugh as every new missionary confused the word for "personages" with the word for "boogers," I think it was. "In the pillar of light, I saw two boogers." They always had funny stories about stuff like that.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
probably way off topic, but I remember the chinese elders in my mission talking about the character for some religious word (vision or prayer or something like that I assume) being written like 2 flaming personages hovering over some trees. They thought it was it was the coolest thing ever.

They also used to laugh as every new missionary confused the word for "personages" with the word for "boogers," I think it was. "In the pillar of light, I saw two boogers." They always had funny stories about stuff like that.
In Japanese the mistake was two carrots. Boogers makes a much better homecoming talk anecdote.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
There's a reason certain "myths" are part of the collective human experience, and it isn't due to some Jungian psychological archetypes.
I'm shocked to say you and I see eye to eye on the first clause of your sentence. I don't know what the hades the second clause means.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm shocked to say you and I see eye to eye on the first clause of your sentence. I don't know what the hades the second clause means.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archetype
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #10
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
If they have an IQ over 80 apologists are liars. This is an absolute rule.

I hadn't paid much attention to this thread but now I see why it was red meat for Chino, the resident purveyor of tawdry apologetics.
I was pointing out what was wrong with the article, you idiot. Buy yourself some hooked-on-phonics.