cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #111
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq Man View Post
If you take the stance of a mistaken policy was carried through the church through 11 prophets how then do you square that with the belief that a prophet cannot lead the church astray?

It was either God's intent to deny blacks the priesthood until SWK or prophets can indeed lead the church very far astray.
Given what I know of Church history, the latter seems the most rational choice to me.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #112
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Most of this is a repost, but it has a lot to do with the present topic of discussion.

Yes, racism existed among the leaders of the church, and those racist tendencies resulted in the priesthood ban. Even so, I believe it would be incorrect to place the blame entirely upon the leaders of the church. There is at least one instance where a church leader, namely David O. McKay, would have changed the ban if he had felt he had permission to do so. President McKay also used the word "policy", not "doctrine", to describe the ban.

The following is from his recent biography, as told by architect Richard Jackson:

It seems clear to me that President McKay would have changed the ban had he felt he could do so. That says to me that the problem lied not only in the leadership, but also the membership of the church. From top to bottom, the church was not ready to give up its racist tendencies.
All-American, you are popping the Blame the Prophets First bubble on Cougarguard, and I demand you stop. McKay, just like those who preceded him, was nothing but a racist womanizer who lucked into the top job, and when he died, it was divine retribution for his wicked tenure.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #113
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Most of this is a repost, but it has a lot to do with the present topic of discussion.

Yes, racism existed among the leaders of the church, and those racist tendencies resulted in the priesthood ban. Even so, I believe it would be incorrect to place the blame entirely upon the leaders of the church. There is at least one instance where a church leader, namely David O. McKay, would have changed the ban if he had felt he had permission to do so. President McKay also used the word "policy", not "doctrine", to describe the ban.

The following is from his recent biography, as told by architect Richard Jackson:

It seems clear to me that President McKay would have changed the ban had he felt he could do so. That says to me that the problem lied not only in the leadership, but also the membership of the church. From top to bottom, the church was not ready to give up its racist tendencies.
I see nothing from the quote you provided how you concluded what you did in your final paragraph.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #114
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
All-American, you are popping the Blame the Prophets First bubble on Cougarguard, and I demand you stop. McKay, just like those who preceded him, was nothing but a racist womanizer who lucked into the top job, and when he died, it was divine retribution for his wicked tenure.
Even as a caricature, that's not a fair representation of the discussion here.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #115
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I see nothing from the quote you provided how you concluded what you did in your final paragraph.
David O. McKay wanted to end the ban. He didn't, because felt that he could not. Ergo, the problem was not in him alone. If the problem is not in the prophet, where is it? With other leaders? Perhaps, but even Bruce R. McKonkie could be prevailed upon to publicly change his stance on the priesthood ban-- surely others could have as well.

If the problem is not in the leadership, then, it must be in the rank and file. It seems to me that if the members would have been ready to accept the change, it would have happened earlier than it did. That is simply my extrapolation on the limited data to which I have been exposed.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #116
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
David O. McKay wanted to end the ban. He didn't, because felt that he could not. Ergo, the problem was not in him alone. If the problem is not in the prophet, where is it? With other leaders? Perhaps, but even Bruce R. McKonkie could be prevailed upon to publicly change his stance on the priesthood ban-- surely others could have as well.

If the problem is not in the leadership, then, it must be in the rank and file. It seems to me that if the members would have been ready to accept the change, it would have happened earlier than it did. That is simply my extrapolation on the limited data to which I have been exposed.
All I got out of the quote was that God told David O. McKay that it wasn't time yet. To extrapolate as to the reason(s) beyond that is pure conjecture, as Pres. McKay didn't offer anything beyond 'because I said so' from God.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #117
All-American

Quote:
All I got out of the quote was that God told David O. McKay that it wasn't time yet. To extrapolate as to the reason(s) beyond that is pure conjecture, as Pres. McKay didn't offer anything beyond 'because I said so' from God.
Pure conjecture it is, indeed. I don't mean to imply that it is anything otherwise.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #118
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree with Indy, it is not possible that the ban had anything to do with anyone in the church being racist. Since everything always goes the way that God intends it to, and since there is no precedent for God witholding blessings or higher laws based on the hard heartedness of His people, we can only assume that the timing of the ban being lifted is exactly according to His plans.

See also the extermination of the Nephites.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #119
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I agree with Indy, it is not possible that the ban had anything to do with anyone in the church being racist. Since everything always goes the way that God intends it to, and since there is no precedent for God witholding blessings or higher laws based on the hard heartedness of His people, we can only assume that the timing of the ban being lifted is exactly according to His plans.

See also the extermination of the Nephites.
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #120
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq Man View Post
If you take the stance of a mistaken policy was carried through the church through 11 prophets how then do you square that with the belief that a prophet cannot lead the church astray?

It was either God's intent to deny blacks the priesthood until SWK or prophets can indeed lead the church very far astray.
I think I've covered this ad nauseum.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote