cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cali and BatGirl find an unlikely friend.

For the second time Krauthammer expresses big questions about the Palin pick.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=opinionsbox1

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

East Coast elite. Let's face it, the Haaavaad elites have a tough time understanding the Palin wing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The Haaavaad elites have a tough time understanding the Palin wing.
And which Palin wing would that be? The Southern Baptist apocalyptics or the Nascar fans?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
And which Palin wing would that be? The Southern Baptist apocalyptics or the Nascar fans?
the kind of people that go to crappy universities and live in small towns that no one has heard of, send their kids to public schools, etc.

It's child abuse to someone like Krauthammer to send your kid to a public school.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
the kind of people that go to crappy universities and live in small towns that no one has heard of, send their kids to public schools, etc.
I for one don't see anything wrong with degrees from third-tier state universities.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Just as Krauthammer finds unusal allies on CG, for once I agree with Mike. I don't like Krauthammer, never have.

But in this column, he manifests the axiom that occasionally even those who are nearly always wrong get something right.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
Just as Krauthammer finds unusal allies on CG, for once I agree with Mike. I don't like Krauthammer, never have.

But in this column, he manifests the axiom that occasionally even those who are nearly always wrong get something right.
Or that even those who are nearly always right get somethings wrong. Or right.

I love Krauthammer; I suspect for the very reasons you hate him.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Good article. Stating the obvious:

Quote:
Palin fatally undermines this entire line of attack. This is through no fault of her own. It is simply a function of her rookie status. The vice president's only constitutional duty of any significance is to become president at a moment's notice. Palin is not ready. Nor is Obama. But with Palin, the case against Obama evaporates.
Quote:
The gamble is enormous. In a stroke, McCain gratuitously forfeited his most powerful argument against Obama. And this was even before Palin's inevitable liabilities began to pile up -- inevitable because any previously unvetted neophyte has "issues." The kid. The state trooper investigation. And worst, the paucity of any Palin record or expressed conviction on the major issues of our time.
He does admit that it may pay off in the end:

Quote:
McCain has one hope. It is suggested by the strength of Palin's performance Wednesday night. In a year of compounding ironies, the McCain candidacy could be saved, and the Palin choice vindicated, by one thing: Palin pulls an Obama.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post

Maake. I'm looking at your avatar. Is it weird that McCain looks so much more comfortable hugging GW than he did hugging Palin?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I like Krauthammer quite a bit, but on occasion I think he's off his rocker (like when he called The Passion rabidly anti-semitic).

My final thoughts on this over-worked topic of "experience"

- As I've repeated, this does NOT "fatally" wound the argument that Obama is woefully inexperienced for the office. As Newt said, the only thing we know he's done is talk and write. He hasn't run anything. Palin may not have decades of Senate experience, but she's run a small business, a town, and a state. When someone asks Palin, "What were you doing 18 months ago?" her answer is "running Alaska." Obama responds, "Um ... running for President ... still."

- Nonetheless, I sense a change in the McCain message, and maybe this was the plan all along. Experience was generally not the topic of the convention and it may be that McCain was planning to change tacts. The experience message kept him within striking distance, but it never gave him the lead.

- Palin is NOT going to "pull an Obama." Her appeal and Obama's appeal couldn't be more dissimilar. People aren't just drawn to her charisma (which is considerable) but to her ideas, and to a romance with the hope that the Republican Party will return to fundamental conservatism.

- Lastly, for some reason, so many in the media can't seem to get the difference between VP and Pres. Palin will have to answer questions, explain herself, yada yada, but the need and requirement for her to do so is FAR less than Obama. Her job is to motivate the base, not run for President. Her expectations are higher than Biden because she's an unknown, but they still are not THAT high. In the end, people vote for Pres not for VP.

Except for me. I'm going to look into seeing if I can vote for only the VP.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 09-05-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote