cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default South Park on racism

The South Park creators are regularly brilliant when it comes to stances on religion, race, tolerance, etc.

I loved the point on racism on the show last night (not sure if it was a rerun or new episode). One of the kids (Stan?) spent the whole time trying to understand Token, the black guy, and apologize for something racist that happened, and Token kept telling him he wasn't getting it. Finally Stan simply says "I don't understand". And that is what reaches Token.

That perfectly summarizes my view on racism. It is impossible for us to understand each other. It is impossible for us to avoid being racist, sexist, americentric, etc., but let's try to acknowledge it and admit it, and try to dampen its negative effect on each other.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to argue on CB, that if, a priori, you wouldn't date someone of a particular race, you are a racist.

I got a lot of people mad at me over that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The South Park creators are regularly brilliant when it comes to stances on religion, race, tolerance, etc.

I loved the point on racism on the show last night (not sure if it was a rerun or new episode). One of the kids (Stan?) spent the whole time trying to understand Token, the black guy, and apologize for something racist that happened, and Token kept telling him he wasn't getting it. Finally Stan simply says "I don't understand". And that is what reaches Token.

That perfectly summarizes my view on racism. It is impossible for us to understand each other. It is impossible for us to avoid being racist, sexist, americentric, etc., but let's try to acknowledge it and admit it, and try to dampen its negative effect on each other.
I agree that South Park is sometimes brilliant. But I don't think it is impossible for us not to be racist, sexist, americentric, at all. I do think that one must acknowledge their own background and biases, but I think that these can be overcome, if it is important enough to the individual.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I agree that South Park is sometimes brilliant. But I don't think it is impossible for us not to be racist, sexist, americentric, at all. I do think that one must acknowledge their own background and biases, but I think that these can be overcome, if it is important enough to the individual.
If you have 30 years of experience being white and someone has 30 years experience being black, how are you going to relate to that person and understand that person perfectly? Same with being LDS vs Jewish, straight/gay, tall/short, big family/small family, Utah Mormon/mission field Mormon, divorced parents/married parents, American/European, Californian/New Yorker, male/female, city kid/farmer. You never, never will no matter how hard you try. And that misunderstanding ALWAYS has the potential to underestimate or overestimate the significance of something that could potentially lead to offend someone. No matter how hard you try not to. The human brain simply can't wrap itself around all the differences that you have with other people.

IMHO, it's more damaging to assume that we can understand these differences and think we're OK, than to acknowledge the racist inside us.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you hear about the white supremacist who had written many books, and was actually a blind black man who had been raised white (never told he was black). I saw a piece on it. It was pretty interesting. And funny.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
If you have 30 years of experience being white and someone has 30 years experience being black, how are you going to relate to that person and understand that person perfectly? Same with being LDS vs Jewish, straight/gay, tall/short, big family/small family, Utah Mormon/mission field Mormon, divorced parents/married parents, American/European, Californian/New Yorker, male/female, city kid/farmer. You never, never will no matter how hard you try. And that misunderstanding ALWAYS has the potential to underestimate or overestimate the significance of something that could potentially lead to offend someone. No matter how hard you try not to. The human brain simply can't wrap itself around all the differences that you have with other people.

IMHO, it's more damaging to assume that we can understand these differences and think we're OK, than to acknowledge the racist inside us.
In my mind and experience, the human condition is broader than a set of demographic data. We all have common experiences that allow us to be empathetic and understanding of issues that arise from a unique background, because we have experienced the same emotions or interactions at different times in our lives.

Maybe you are saying that everyone may have racist, sexist feelings or thoughts? I could agree with that, but action and words are a far different thing.

If we are so limited to the prism of our existence then we truly have a culture of one. The Hegelian war by all against all is a little to neocon to be descriptive of the world that I have lived in.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

That South Park episode was pretty good. I like how Randy Marsh apologized to Jessie Jackson.

Jay's statement that it's impossible to avoid being racist, sexist, americentric, etc is very interesting. I see these as no different than any other sins. It's quite difficult for some people to stop lying, while others are as honest as the day is long. Some people are genuinely not racist, while others can't look past skin color, religion, or nationality. I think Jay's statement is true for a lot of people, but not all.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
That South Park episode was pretty good. I like how Randy Marsh apologized to Jessie Jackson.

Jay's statement that it's impossible to avoid being racist, sexist, americentric, etc is very interesting. I see these as no different than any other sins. It's quite difficult for some people to stop lying, while others are as honest as the day is long. Some people are genuinely not racist, while others can't look past skin color, religion, or nationality. I think Jay's statement is true for a lot of people, but not all.
Being a racist is not a boolean condition.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Being a racist is not a boolean condition.
Even after googling I still can't figure out what a boolean condition is.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Did you hear about the white supremacist who had written many books, and was actually a blind black man who had been raised white (never told he was black). I saw a piece on it. It was pretty interesting. And funny.
Very interesting and timely piece. He was so over-the-top white supremacist that when he discovered he was black, he almost killed himself for being dumb enough to marry a woman who would love a black man.