cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skeletor enters the draft

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a smart move for a junior to get your feelers out there. However he will for sure be back.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, baseball team imploding.

Quote:
The losing has reached historic depths for the BYU baseball team. A grand slam by Air Force's Addison Gentry snapped a 55-game Mountain West Conference losing streak for the Falcons as they beat BYU 13-9 yesterday in Colorado Springs. BYU (15-25, 5-8) led 3-0 and 6-3 after the first and second innings, and rallied to tie the game 9-9 in the ninth. The Cougars have now lost five straight games. Game two of the three-game series is today at 2.
It's time for Vance to take a desk job at BYU, and someone else coach.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

I read some blog a week or so ago where he was whining about not wanting to be labeled the weak link in the athletic department and that it wasn't his fault all his good pitchers went to JCs or on missions.

I think the implosion is sealing his fate. The team has been mediocre for years and there is no excuse for this years meltdown. I think the admin wants him gone and I expect he will be in a couple of months.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I read some blog a week or so ago where he was whining about not wanting to be labeled the weak link in the athletic department and that it wasn't his fault all his good pitchers went to JCs or on missions.

I think the implosion is sealing his fate. The team has been mediocre for years and there is no excuse for this years meltdown. I think the admin wants him gone and I expect he will be in a couple of months.
I have no opinion as to the quality of his coaching, but it's got to be a bitch to recruit good pitching to Utah. I don't envy him that job.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I have no opinion as to the quality of his coaching, but it's got to be a bitch to recruit good pitching to Utah. I don't envy him that job.
Pullins wasn't a great coach, but he won and I don't remember any losing seasons. One of his teams even played in the college world series.

BYU doesn't have to stink in baseball. I questioned his hire from the onset. I still do.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Pullins wasn't a great coach, but he won and I don't remember any losing seasons. One of his teams even played in the college world series.

BYU doesn't have to stink in baseball. I questioned his hire from the onset. I still do.
No, they don't have to stink. I think they'll always struggle with having enough quality pitching to be exceptional, but consistently winning and putting together a very good team occasionally shouldn't be overly high expectations.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps Vance should have gone across the street to Provo High and convinced his dad to be the pitching coach for BYU.

As for recruiting pitchers, it can be tough to get good ones to sign to play for cold weather schools, but good coaching can make decent pitchers very good pitchers, especially at the college level. Vern Law would be a great pitching coach.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

BYU showing Gary Pullins the door years ago was a really stupid move for the baseball program. As if they care though.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
No, they don't have to stink. I think they'll always struggle with having enough quality pitching to be exceptional, but consistently winning and putting together a very good team occasionally shouldn't be overly high expectations.
The longer Vance Law is the coach the greater Pullins appears. Pullins was a very good if not great coach. BYU very frequently won the conference and played in the NCAAs. It was the exception when they didn't. One of his later teams, one that had Ryan Hancock on it, went deep into the tourney and came one game away from making the College World Series.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-25-2008 at 06:53 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote