cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Godfather Trilogy

I've seen Godfather I and II a couple times each but never III.

I watched I,II, and III the last three nights on TV, skimming through a lot of I and II + the comercials.

It goes without saying but I and II are just amazing movies.

III...I was glad I watched it but disappointing compared to I and II. Sophia Coppola was horrible. Andy Garcia was too goofy in the beginning to make a transformation into a Don. The plot tried to be too dramatic and large in scope. I and II never tried to do that, they made dramatic points by keeping the plot somewhat simple.

One thing I've learned is that if I'm a mob boss and someone from the other team joins me, saying they're turning on their old boss...that's a red flag.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I have really mixed feelings about Godfather III. Most of the movie is pretty messed up; the incest thing was weird and Sophia Coppola is a disaster. I did like a few scenes in the movie, especially the "Just when I thought that I was out they pull me back in" part and his confession to killing Fredo.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Godfather I and II are two of the best movies Hollywood has crafted since 1970, and should be pretty high on any all-time list too.

Godfather III is ehh.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I love the scene in GF I where Michael gets up from the table and leaves Sollozzo and Capt. McCluskey, goes into that bathroom and the subway races by overhead, he reaches behind the toilet and takes the gun, and his life will change forever..... Moments like that is what great drama is all about.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 07-18-2007 at 04:22 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:50 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Godfather III should've never been made. Compared to the first 2 it was a huge disapointment. Then again, considering the first 2 are 2 of the best movies ever made that's probably not very fair.

I love the first 2.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 07-20-2007 at 12:07 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:42 AM   #6
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Godfather should've never been made. Compared to the first 2 it was a huge disapointment. Then again, considering the first 2 are 2 of the best movies ever made that's probably not very fair.

I love the first 2.
I can't prove it, but I've heard that III was supposed to be called The Death of Michael Corleone in order to distance it a bit from the other two. As everyone pretty much agrees, it's a fine movie, but just not in the same category as the other two.

Although I love Andy Garcia's line: "Well, love somebody else."
Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I love Godfather III, if for no other reason than to witness the awful performance of Sophia Coppola. She is so bad that it is almost comical. You have to admire, though, the loyalty of her father, because he had to know just how dreadful she was. Can you imagine how conflicted he must have been while watching her stumble through what might possibly be the worst acting performance in American cinema?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote