cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss
Default Will BYU be ranked tomorrow?...

Okay here is the current situation regarding the top teams in the conferences that matter. Listed are the top teams, their record and key games they have remaining.

ACC
Boston College 8-2 at Clemson
Clemson 8-2 BC, at South Carolina
Virginia 9-2 Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech 8-2 at Virginia

Only one 2 loss team will remain after Conference Championship game.

Clemson, BC and VTech all have two games left. Any of these losing those last two are out of the polls. Virginia could be out if they lose final game to VTech.

Big East
West Virginia 9-1 at Cinci, UConn
UConn 8-2 at West Virginia
Cinci 8-2 West Virginia

most likely 1 one loss team, all others in conference 3 or more losses. Only West Virginia should remain in the polls by end of regular season.

Big Ten
Ohio State 10-1 at MIchigan
Michigan 8-3 Ohio State
Illinois 8-3
Penn State 8-3 at Michigan State
Wisconsin 8-3

most likely 1 one loss team, all others 3 or more losses Michigan will most likely leave the polls after losing to Ohio State. Michigan is without their starting QB who is still hurt. Penn State may trip up against the Spartans on the road just like Purdue did, but it isn't a strong odds. The others have cake games to end the season.

Big 12
Kansas 10-0 Missouri
Missouri 9-1 at Kansas
Oklahoma 9-1 at Texas Tech, Oklahoma State
Texas 8-2 at Texas A&M

after conference championship, most likely 2 one loss teams, 2 two loss teams (I pick Mizzou and Oklahoma in CC game)

None of these teams will drop out unless Oklahoma somehow gets raked over the coals by TTech and OSU. Doubtful.

PAC 10
Oregon 8-1 at Arizona, at UCLA, Oregon State
ASU 9-1 USC, Arizona
USC 8-2 at ASU, UCLA

most likely 2 two loss teams ( I see Oregon dropping one of their remaining games in typical PAC10 fashion) I see ASU losing one of their remaining games.

Barring a total melt down, Oregon and ASU should remain ranked, however USC could possibly lose their last two games and fall out of the rankings.

SEC
LSU 9-1
Georgia 7-2 Kentucky, at Georgia Tech
Florida 7-3 Florida State
Tennessee 7-3 Vanderbilt, at Kentucky
Kentucky 7-3 at Georgia, Tennessee

after CC game, LSU will be remaining1 loss team. All others will be 3 or more losses

Kentucky is will drop out by regular seasons end. Tennessee controlls their destiny, but if they lose to Kentucky they are also gone. Florida most likely will beat FSU and stay ranked. Georgia could have a melt down, but highly unlikely.

WAC
Hawaii 9-0 at Nevada, BSU, Washington
BSU 9-1 at Hawaii

Hawaii having lost their best player in Brennan will drop at least two of their last three. BSU will be one of those. So there will most likely be 1 one loss team, 1 two loss team

If Hawaii loses two out of the last three which is highly likely, they drop out of the polls. If BSU loses to Hawaii, they might drop out of the polls. Worst scenario for the WAC is Hawaii losing to Nevada(which they have never beaten in Nevada) and Washington and Beating BSU.

5 to 7 teams will most likely drop out of the rankings. BYU will have already been ranked or at least stepped into the front of the line among those getting votes. As long as they win out, they will finish the season ranked somewhere between 21-19.

There is still plenty of football remaining, and if the perfect storm hits, there is still an outside chance that BYU could end up in the top 12. Yes this is crazy talk at this juncture, so please don't become fixated on this statement. This season has been crazy, so be prepared for surprises. If BYU could sneak into the top 16 due to the ACC getting beat up, there could be a chance at making a BCS bowl as an at large.

BC lost today, and Clemson still has two games. If BC beats Clemson and loses to Miami and South Carolina beats Clemson, they will not be ranked in the top 16. If VTech loses to Miami and Virginia they will not be in the top 16 either. Virginia beating VTech will not be top 16, but close. Losing the CC to BC would not make BC top 16 either given the above.

the most likely scenario will be BYU finishing top 20 by regular seasons end.

So since AP doesn't matter in the BCS anymore, the Coaches poll will most likely look something like this tomorrow.

1. LSU (9-1)
2. Oregon (8-1)
3. Oklahoma (9-1)
4. Kansas (10-0)
5. West Virginia (8-1)
6. Missouri (9-1)
7. Ohio State (10-1)
8. Arizona State (9-1)
9. Georgia (8-2)
10. Virginia Tech (8-2)
11. Hawaii (9-0)
12. Texas (9-2)
13. USC (9-2)
14. Florida (7-3)
15. Boston College (8-2)
16. Clemson (8-2)
17. Boise State (9-1)
18. Virginia (9-2)
19. Kentucky (7-3)
20. Michigan (8-3)
21. Tennessee (7-3)
22. Penn State (8-3)
23. Wisconsin (8-3)
24. Illinois (8-3)
25. Cinci/BYU (8-2/7-2)

Falling out UConn, Auburn, Alabama

The Harris Poll would look something like this:

1. LSU (9-1)
2. Oregon (8-1)
3. Oklahoma (9-1)
4. Kansas (10-0)
5. West Virginia (8-1)
6. Missouri (9-1)
7. Arizona State (9-1)
8. Ohio State (10-1)
9. Hawaii (9-0)
10. Georgia (8-2)
11. Texas (9-2)
12. Virginia Tech (9-2)
13. USC (9-2)
14. Florida (7-3)
15. Boston College (8-2)
16. Boise State (9-1)
17. Clemson (8-2)
18. Virginia (9-2)
19. Kentucky (7-3)
20. Tennessee (7-3)
21. Penn State (8-3)
22. Michigan (8-3)
23. Cinci (8-2)
24. Wisconsin (8-3)
25. Illinois (8-3)
26. BYU (8-2)

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
hammer

hammer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRoss View Post
So since AP doesn't matter in the BCS anymore, the Coaches poll will most likely look something like this tomorrow.

1. LSU (9-1)
2. Oregon (8-1)
3. Oklahoma (9-1)
4. Kansas (10-0)
5. West Virginia (8-1)
6. Missouri (9-1)
7. Ohio State (10-1)
8. Arizona State (9-1)
9. Georgia (8-2)
10. Virginia Tech (8-2)
11. Hawaii (9-0)
12. Texas (9-2)
13. USC (9-2)
14. Florida (7-3)
15. Boston College (8-2)
16. Clemson (8-2)
17. Boise State (9-1)
18. Virginia (9-2)
19. Kentucky (7-3)
20. Michigan (8-3)
21. Tennessee (7-3)
22. Penn State (8-3)
23. Wisconsin (8-3)
24. Illinois (8-3)
25. Cinci/BYU (8-2/7-2)

I don't see UConn dropping from #16 to out of the poll after losing on the road to Cincinnati. Auburn is more likely to drop but their loss was on the road to Georgia.

I'm definitely not as concerned about being ranked this year as I was last. Maybe the reason is I really wanted it for Beck, Harline, and Brown, but this squad will have their chance. (But the chance is now right?). I don't know, just for whatever reason I really don't care about the ranking yet.
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
I don't see UConn dropping from #16 to out of the poll after losing on the road to Cincinnati. Auburn is more likely to drop but their loss was on the road to Georgia.

I'm definitely not as concerned about being ranked this year as I was last. Maybe the reason is I really wanted it for Beck, Harline, and Brown, but this squad will have their chance. (But the chance is now right?). I don't know, just for whatever reason I really don't care about the ranking yet.
We have no signature wins and the team IMHO is about a 30 to 35 placed team. We don't have the killer instinct and lost a bad game to Tulsa.

Even though I hope and pray we defeat Utah, I'd say Utah is playing better ball than we are, and the loss of Gooch is significant. Utah appears to be healing.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
PAC 10
Oregon 8-1 at Arizona, at UCLA, Oregon State
ASU 9-1 USC, Arizona
USC 8-2 at ASU, UCLA

most likely 2 two loss teams ( I see Oregon dropping one of their remaining games in typical PAC10 fashion) I see ASU losing one of their remaining games.

Barring a total melt down, Oregon and ASU should remain ranked, however USC could possibly lose their last two games and fall out of the rankings.
I just have to wonder if you have even watched any Pac 10 games this year. Arizona is a BAD football team. Beating Stanford and Washington does not all of a sudden make you "hot" it means you beat two other bad teams. One only because the worse team blew a 20+ point lead at home in the 4th quarter. Chances of Arizona beating Oregon or ASU less than 0.05%

UCLA even when they had a QB were a bad team. They are now playing with walk-ons all over the field. They are playing USC in a revenge game in the Collesium.

USC/ASU will have one more loss because they play each other. Oregon may drop the Civil War, but history says no because of where it is being played. 2 Pac 10 teams will be in the Top 10 in the final poll and the other USC/ASU loser will be in the Top 15.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
I just have to wonder if you have even watched any Pac 10 games this year. Arizona is a BAD football team. Beating Stanford and Washington does not all of a sudden make you "hot" it means you beat two other bad teams. One only because the worse team blew a 20+ point lead at home in the 4th quarter. Chances of Arizona beating Oregon or ASU less than 0.05%

UCLA even when they had a QB were a bad team. They are now playing with walk-ons all over the field. They are playing USC in a revenge game in the Collesium.

USC/ASU will have one more loss because they play each other. Oregon may drop the Civil War, but history says no because of where it is being played. 2 Pac 10 teams will be in the Top 10 in the final poll and the other USC/ASU loser will be in the Top 15.
SC is getting healthy finally. I do not see them losing to either ASU or FUCLA. Did anyone see Chauncy's game last night on the road in the rain? Over 200 yards rushing.

Curse that stupid loss to Stanford.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Curse that stupid loss to Stanford.
Carroll essentially put both losses on him this past week because of that Stanford game. He said he shouldn't have played Booty hurt, but because his guy is a competitor he said he could play and he did and trusted him. Said that game hurt because it put a damper on their success. I liked how Carroll took the blame. He really is a players coach, it is easy to see why players have no problem committing to him.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Carroll essentially put both losses on him this past week because of that Stanford game. He said he shouldn't have played Booty hurt, but because his guy is a competitor he said he could play and he did and trusted him. Said that game hurt because it put a damper on their success. I liked how Carroll took the blame. He really is a players coach, it is easy to see why players have no problem committing to him.
Your observation seems to mirror the daily pulse over at Heritage Hall. PC appears on the evening sports beat every weekday. Admittedly, he isnt too used to explaining losses since he arrived at SC, but this season he has been quick to deflect criticism away from booty as well as from Sarkisian and assume all of it himself.

one thing that was not shown on TV after the Stanford loss.....the trojans ran straight into the locker room, which I didnt like too much....everyone except for PC and a few other coaches, who hung around for interviews.

As a stunned Coliseum crowd stood there in shock, very slowly a loud applause started rumbling through the stadium, eventually become a pretty unified measure of applause from the Trojan crowd. hats went off to an upstart stanford team that did something that had not been done in 6 years. Leading the applause on the field was PC.

He is a great coach for SC.

and finally his squad is getting healthy again and are rolling out wins.

One interesting stat about SC: PC is undefeated in the month of Novemeber. 22-0. That isnt bad. Since 2001, he has won 5 PAC 10 titles, 2 NCs, 5 straight BCS bowls, and 3 Heismans. An altogether impressive run. It cant last forever, but it is fun while it lasts.

ASU is going to be tough.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
hammer

hammer is on a distinguished road
Default We're #27 in the Coaches

Quote:

1. LSU (9-1)
2. Oregon (8-1)
3. Oklahoma (9-1)
4. Kansas (10-0)
5. West Virginia (8-1)
6. Missouri (9-1)
7. Ohio State (10-1)
8. Arizona State (9-1)
9. Georgia (8-2)
10. Virginia Tech (8-2)
11. Hawaii (9-0)
12. Texas (9-2)
13. USC (9-2)
14. Florida (7-3)
15. Boston College (8-2)
16. Clemson (8-2)
17. Boise State (9-1)
18. Virginia (9-2)
19. Kentucky (7-3)
20. Michigan (8-3)
21. Tennessee (7-3)
22. Penn State (8-3)
23. Wisconsin (8-3)
24. Illinois (8-3)
25. Cinci/BYU (8-2/7-2)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankin...&weekNumber=12

Nice job predicting exactly who would drop DJRoss. UConn is #26 with 106 votes compared to BYU's 64 votes.
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankin...&weekNumber=12

Nice job predicting exactly who would drop DJRoss. UConn is #26 with 106 votes compared to BYU's 64 votes.
Thanks, I guess the powers that be didn't let them drop behind BYU, so the Coaches has BYU at 27 and the Harris Interactive has BYU at 28. That should have the Cougars ranked next week if they beat Wyoming. To many head to heads among the ranked teams to keep them out for another week.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote