cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Parents using safe haven laws to jettison teenage children in droves

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/us...prod=permalink

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm thinking of running for Congress, with my only platform being that I'll pass a bill mandating the Federal Gov't pay for a vasectomy for any guy that wants one. It'll be much cheaper than taxpayers caring for all of these unwanted children, but mainly I'm just sick and tired of some kids being treated like crap.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

think of the poor psychiatrist, who gets this dumped in his lap, and is expected to solve things in a week.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
think of the poor psychiatrist, who gets this dumped in his lap, and is expected to solve things in a week.
I almost never think you are funny. Your current avatar is a glaring exception. That thar is laugh out loud funny.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:56 AM   #5
SCcoug

SCcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I'm thinking of running for Congress, with my only platform being that I'll pass a bill mandating the Federal Gov't pay for a vasectomy for any guy that wants one. It'll be much cheaper than taxpayers caring for all of these unwanted children, but mainly I'm just sick and tired of some kids being treated like crap.
A representative in Louisiana is looking into paying for sterilization for poor men and women. But its for budgetary reasons than about abandoning kids.

Quote:
LaBruzzo said he worries that people receiving government aid such as food stamps and publicly subsidized housing are reproducing at a faster rate than more affluent, better-educated people who presumably pay more tax revenue to the government. He said he is gathering statistics now. "What I'm really studying is any and all possibilities that we can reduce the number of people that are going from generational welfare to generational welfare," he said.

He said his program would be voluntary. It could involve tubal ligation, encouraging other forms of birth control or, to avoid charges of gender discrimination, vasectomies for men.

It also could include tax incentives for college-educated, higher-income people to have more children, he said.
http://www.nola.com/timespic/stories...730.xml&coll=1
SCcoug is offline   Reply With Quote