cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to improve one's Spanish?

I'm reminded, perhaps of an apocryphal event of Earnest Hemingway, who apparently was on vacation in Venice, when somebody critisized his Italian after those years.

And then I look to my own dabbling in Spanish and feel somewhat ashamed at how poorly I communicate in Spanish. So I wouldn't mind improving my Spanish, but I wonder what's the best way to go about it?

I can read adequately especially if a dictionary is nearby. Most persons that speak Spanish locally are workers with whom I don't come into contact often.

So what's the solution?

And which version?

I'm focusing mostly on speaking Spanish, as reading comes easy enough.

Ideas.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Puedes hablar conmigo.

However, my spanish is rusty... so I don't think that I'd be much help.

I listened to a lot of spanish music when I got home from the mission and that was good for a while. Then I got sick of it and quit listening and my skills went down...
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:56 PM   #3
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Buy fast food in California. You have to be able to speak Spanish to order.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:10 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug
Buy fast food in California. You have to be able to speak Spanish to order.
California? Here in Utah I can't use the dirve-thru at any fast food place because it's hard enough to understand English in the intercoms. I can at least point to pictures inside Del Taco to communicate what I want.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:13 AM   #5
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Take a few trips. You can listen to CDs in the car or make chit chat with the guy at taco bell but NOTHING will do what a couple of weeks in Latin America will do.

Mix up one of your Ironman trips with a spin south of the border. Find an imersion program while you're down there and learn while you recover.

My roommate did a two week thing at the tail end of a business trip to Costa Rica. He had a great time and came back speaking MUCH better.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
Take a few trips. You can listen to CDs in the car or make chit chat with the guy at taco bell but NOTHING will do what a couple of weeks in Latin America will do.

Mix up one of your Ironman trips with a spin south of the border. Find an imersion program while you're down there and learn while you recover.

My roommate did a two week thing at the tail end of a business trip to Costa Rica. He had a great time and came back speaking MUCH better.
Traveling is not the problem, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Espana, Mexico y otros. It's just I wish I could speak fluently.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:03 PM   #7
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Traveling is not the problem, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Espana, Mexico y otros. It's just I wish I could speak fluently.
But when you travel you probably don't attend an imersion program. That's what I recommend. Travel + School (in country).

Most people who travel spend the majority of their time with people who speak english or are at least trying to make speaking spanish easy for you.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
But when you travel you probably don't attend an imersion program. That's what I recommend. Travel + School (in country).

Most people who travel spend the majority of their time with people who speak english or are at least trying to make speaking spanish easy for you.
One of the funniest books I've read is "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris. He has several chapters devoted to the years he spent living in France, trying to learn the language. It took him several years and several classes before he became fluent. It's not an easy undertaking.

While I heartily reccomend the book, I must warn some that the time David Sedaris spent in France was spent with his boyfriend. If you don't find that disturbing, you will love the book.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:07 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
One of the funniest books I've read is "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris. He has several chapters devoted to the years he spent living in France, trying to learn the language. It took him several years and several classes before he became fluent. It's not an easy undertaking.

While I heartily reccomend the book, I must warn some that the time David Sedaris spent in France was spent with his boyfriend. If you don't find that disturbing, you will love the book.
Amen. Hilarious book.