cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contador drinking beers at the beach when Astana got the call

http://velonews.com/article/76502/la...ador-positions

Quote:
A day after revealing he had a fractured elbow suffered in a fall Saturday, Contador rode perhaps the best time trial of his young career, matching Bruseghin at the second mid-course time split and then easing off the gas in the final kilometers when rain fell on the spindly Spanish climber.
“I tried to win the stage. That was my first objective. Believe me, without the rain, I would have been the winner. I didn’t dare to take risks in the end. The last 500 meters on the cobblestones were very slippery as well,” Contador said. “I am happy with the time I gained today. My elbow? In the beginning it bothered me a bit, but the further we went in the stage, the better I felt. My second part of the time trial was indeed much better: the elbow, the legs and the performance.”

Despite his injuries, Contador turned in an impressive ride.
Photo: Graham Watson

Contador’s performance demoralized his Italian rivals, who were already questioning the story that the Tour champ was drinking beers at the beach when the team received a last-minute reprieve to race the Giro just a week before the start in Sicily.
Contador climbed to fourth overall at 6:59 back and moved into the “virtual” lead among the GC favorites, moving 55 seconds ahead of teammate Kloden, 1:05 ahead of the surprisingly steady Vicenzo Nibali (Liquigas) and more than one and a half minutes clear of arch-rivals Riccardo Riccò (Saunier Duval-Scott) and defending Giro champ Danilo Di Luca (LPR).
Old 05-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

COntador riding with a busted elbow is in third place. Hard to believe. Imagine if he had trained.

Levi and Vandevelde are both riding easy in the top 20 and may rise (especially Levi) as the road rises a bit.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
COntador riding with a busted elbow is in third place. Hard to believe. Imagine if he had trained.

Levi and Vandevelde are both riding easy in the top 20 and may rise (especially Levi) as the road rises a bit.
Isn't Kloeden on the same team as well. Imagine what they would have done had they had notice and time to prepare.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Isn't Kloeden on the same team as well. Imagine what they would have done had they had notice and time to prepare.
Kloeden is, I was just being the jingoistic American that the Eruos know and hate so well.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:24 AM   #5
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

If your ASO conspiracy has any validity, it appears to have blown up in their face. What a crock The Tour will be this year without Astana.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
If your ASO conspiracy has any validity, it appears to have blown up in their face. What a crock The Tour will be this year without Astana.

No kidding. what have they got, 4 of the top 20 right now? Factor in that the eye-talians seem to lose about 20% of their riding prowess when they cross the dolomites and the TdF will look even more silly.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:34 AM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
No kidding. what have they got, 4 of the top 20 right now? Factor in that the eye-talians seem to lose about 20% of their riding prowess when they cross the dolomites and the TdF will look even more silly.
Here's the team which came in unprepared and dominated our asses. We wimpy French sure as hell don't want anybody beating our boys.