cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2008, 06:47 PM   #11
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
Could happen. I'm not sold on Colt McCoy. The Texas Tech game this weekend could be the beginning of the end for the Longhorns. That's my prediction.
But, see, if Longhorns lose twice that hurts us because then the team that beat us ain't near as good. Our numbers would drop. So, we'd win the South Division, yes, but we still wouldn't be in the title game.

And Tech *could* take down the Longhorns, but I wouldn't count on it.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Yes! This would basically mean SC OU Part 2.

Barbara, see you at the game.
"Hey Flash, I'm going to meet up with some internet friends at the bowl game, okay?"

"Um, alright. Who is OU playing?"

"Southern Cal."

"oh. okay. That's good, 'cause for a second there I was afraid you were going to say this had something to do with your BYU thing again."
Old 10-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
But, see, if Longhorns lose twice that hurts us because then the team that beat us ain't near as good. Our numbers would drop. So, we'd win the South Division, yes, but we still wouldn't be in the title game.

Can I just say that I can't wait for the Texas vs. TT game on Saturday? That is going to be an awesome game.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:22 PM   #14
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Can I just say that I can't wait for the Texas vs. TT game on Saturday? That is going to be an awesome game.
It'll be a hard-fought battle. I just hope somebody manages to get some points on the board.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:57 PM   #15
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You really think Texas will have to lose twice? I disagree - if Texas loses once, they drop below #4, OK makes it to #3 BCS.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:59 PM   #16
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
You really think Texas will have to lose twice? I disagree - if Texas loses once, they drop below #4, OK makes it to #3 BCS.
No. That's not how it works.

If Texas loses once, and Oklahoma doesn't lose anymore, then Texas wins the tie-breaker (having defeated Oklahoma), and goes to the Big12 championship game for the chance to play for the automatic bid.

If Texas loses twice, then our SOS drops so much that our computer ranking is compromised considerably. We'd still be playing for the auto-bid to the Fiesta Bowl, but we wouldn't be playing for a national title.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:09 PM   #17
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No. That's not how it works.

If Texas loses once, and Oklahoma doesn't lose anymore, then Texas wins the tie-breaker (having defeated Oklahoma), and goes to the Big12 championship game for the chance to play for the automatic bid.

If Texas loses twice, then our SOS drops so much that our computer ranking is compromised considerably. We'd still be playing for the auto-bid to the Fiesta Bowl, but we wouldn't be playing for a national title.
I don't think UTexas losing twice hurts you as badly as you think that it does. Loss to TT will be against a top 10 opponent, and losing in the title game would probably be to Missouri, which would still be in Top 15, if not back in top 10.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:08 PM   #18
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

If Texas slips up, despite their amazing run, they'll be in the Fiesta Bowl against Utah/TCU/Boise State.

Initially my reaction is that Utah would be creamed by either Texas or Oklahoma, but then again, if Utah defeats both TCU and BYU....neither of those opponents are pansies and the experience will just make Utah all the better. So we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile suppose Utah defeats UT/OU. People will say they were dejected from not making the title game, a la Michigan in '06. But if UT/OU wins, people will say this just proves that mid-majors don't belong here. Yes folks that is my bold prediction; meanwhile I also predict that the sun will rise tomorrow morning.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #19
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
Could happen. I'm not sold on Colt McCoy. The Texas Tech game this weekend could be the beginning of the end for the Longhorns. That's my prediction.
I wish I would have said this more forcefully - like Texas WILL lose and that the loss to the Red Raiders WILL be the beginning of the end. Then, I could claim to be a Nostradamous (sp?) of the board or something like that.

That was a hell of a game on Sunday - Texas v. Texas Tech. I am thoroughly enjoying this college football season!
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote