cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2008, 12:35 AM   #71
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Ask exie. He seems to think that he knows the definition of supporting and sustaining the Prophet better than even the Prophet himself does.
Let's hear your definition most enlightened one. I know for one that sustaining the prophet on this issue was very clear. When the first presidency sign a letter and ask bishops to read it to their congregations and support it, I would say that is sustaining.

I know it's disappointing when you can't eat from the gospel buffet line and pick and choose to suit your fancy.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:35 AM   #72
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The question is manifold. Are they subjectively bigoted based on Solon's interpretation? based upon the community standard? based upon a seeming third party objective standard?

Will all three examinations arrive at the same result?
I think gays are bigoted toward religion.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 AM   #73
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Let's hear your definition most enlightened one. I know for one that sustaining the prophet on this issue was very clear. When the first presidency sign a letter and ask bishops to read it to their congregations and support it, I would say that is sustaining.

I know it's disappointing when you can't eat from the gospel buffet line and pick and choose to suit your fancy.
You might want to hit the Sermon on the Mount portion of the line next time through.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #74
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What legal right would marriage have given them that they don't already have?
It would do away with "separate but equal" civil unions. It would foster tolerance over time. You may be shocked to learn that even today, gays face persecution. Has the repression of women been reduced since the women's suffrage movement? Has the persecution of blacks decreased since the civil rights movement of the 1960s? I am sure gays hope to be accepted as full members of society. The more that they are viewed by society as normal, the less persecution they will face. Being allowed to marry helps in this regard.

Last edited by Flystripper; 11-06-2008 at 12:42 AM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:23 AM   #75
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
Many on this board were in opposition to prop 8 and they had every right to do so and could have contributed $$s and time to further their position.
The problem is that when you are told "the prophet has asked us to treat this as our generation's gettysburg" you are treated as a pariah if you don't come down squarely on the side of the church.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:21 AM   #76
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Sweet mercy I'm sick of reading your opinion on prop 8. For how many more days can I look forward to you telling us all that you supported the brethren on this issue (from Utah and knowing no gay people)? I'd just like to remind you that your "support" is virtually meaningless on this issue. You don't like any gays, you probably don't even know any gays and I doubt you've had this much fun in years. That's been the saddest part of this whole affair; seeing people like you take such joy in the task.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:27 AM   #77
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Sweet mercy I'm sick of reading your opinion on prop 8. For how many more days can I look forward to you telling us all that you supported the brethren on this issue (from Utah and knowing no gay people)? I'd just like to remind you that your "support" is virtually meaningless on this issue. You don't like any gays, you probably don't even know any gays and I doubt you've had this much fun in years. That's been the saddest part of this whole affair; seeing people like you take such joy in the task.
Amen, Brother Steel.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:33 AM   #78
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry Lebowski - nothing hollow about the victory. It is good to see people stand up for something they believe to be a moral issue against a group of very influential liberals. The only cost was to those who contributed $s and time to the cause and I appreciate their efforts. Those who are the Church's enemies today, were enemies yesterday, and will be enemies tomorrow. The Church's position on this issue has been well documented for years. The Church took a stand and encouraged its members to support the prop with time and $s. Many Church members responded positively and excercised their rights as Americans to do so. Some did so because of a personal belief that it was the right thing to do, some did so because of a sense of duty, and some may have done it because of ignorance, yet, they answered the call of their Church leaders and invested their dollars and time. Similar to what the Youngs did in opposition of prop 8. Many on this board were in opposition to prop 8 and they had every right to do so and could have contributed $$s and time to further their position.
OK, congratulations. You stopped the queers from getting married. Swell for you.

I read your post in the other thread regarding your views on homosexuality and gay marriage and frankly I just don't find your reasons very thoughtful or compelling.

Quote:
The Church is not going to suffer any long term consequences for its position on gay marriage. Again, its position has been well documented for years.
It's position has been "well-doumented for years"? Which position is that? The current church position that gays are welcome in the church as long as they are celibate? Or the old position that being gay is a choice and anyone who is a homosexual is in a state of sin?

Don't kid yourself. The church's position is in a state of evolution. We are in a period of entrenchment, but it won't last forever.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 AM   #79
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
The problem is that when you are told "the prophet has asked us to treat this as our generation's gettysburg" you are treated as a pariah if you don't come down squarely on the side of the church.
Do you see this in your ward? I know of several people in my ward that opposed the proposition and they are nto being treated as pariahs. Where do you get this crap? Moreover, the church never said it was the gettysburg. This was an anecdote reported bu never confirmed, AFAIK. Why is no one willing to judge the measures taken here on the basis of what the church says instead of what they think it says or think it means?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:21 AM   #80
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
OK, congratulations. You stopped the queers from getting married. Swell for you.

I read your post in the other thread regarding your views on homosexuality and gay marriage and frankly I just don't find your reasons very thoughtful or compelling.

It's position has been "well-doumented for years"? Which position is that? The current church position that gays are welcome in the church as long as they are celibate? Or the old position that being gay is a choice and anyone who is a homosexual is in a state of sin?

Don't kid yourself. The church's position is in a state of evolution. We are in a period of entrenchment, but it won't last forever.

Unliek you, I found cougarobgon's post to be both thoughtful and persuasive. That you are unimpressed is unimpressive, quite frankly. Moreover, you knwo very well that he was referring to the church's policy that same sex marraige is improper not to its explantion for their existence or the best way to assuimilate them into a congregation. Neither of these is affected by the policy on marriage.