cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default California Fire Map

Here is one of the better fire maps that I have seen for all of the big Northern California Fires.

http://enplan.com/fires/

The smoke is still very thick in and around Redding. Several friends and acquaintences are under mandatory evacuation orders. Its bad, but it could get much, much worse with the direction some of these fires are going. Fortunately, the winds have mostly died down today.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:51 AM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched the Motion Fire climb up South Fork mountain all day today. That will be quite sad if one of the best mountain bike climbs in the valley is gone.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:55 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Dang, guys, be safe over there.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:56 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey if we get rid of all the trees, we won't have as many forest fires.

Signed,
GWB and the Timber Industry Association
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:01 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Signed,
Controlled burns are good for the forest and the timber industry. The Park Service had one at Devil's Tower a while back and while there are still some remnants of it, there are a ton of saplings and the thicker bark on the Ponderosa Pine saved most of the trees and they are now healthier than before.

That was one of the things I learned from the Park Ranger there.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:34 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Controlled burns are good for the forest and the timber industry. The Park Service had one at Devil's Tower a while back and while there are still some remnants of it, there are a ton of saplings and the thicker bark on the Ponderosa Pine saved most of the trees and they are now healthier than before.

That was one of the things I learned from the Park Ranger there.
I'm fine with controlled burnings. It's good for the environment, as fires are what kept the ecology what it was.

FOr example, in College Station, TX, it's much more wooded and with shrubs than it ever was 150 years ago. It used to be Post Oak Savannah. Now it's less Savannah, and more Post Oak + Youpon. Fires would return it to Post Oak Savannah. But we won't let it happen.

Bush really did propose going through all the forests and making major timber-hauls to "protect" people.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:52 AM   #7
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Much of this area was in bad need of a fire, preferably controlled burn. It was so overgrown, most of the land is completely impassable. Now, thanks to the lack of controlled burning, instead of ground fires cleaning some of the bushes and shrubs, the flames have easy access to the taller trees, turning it into a monsterous fire. Some folks that live out near some of the hot spots are reporting flames shooting 200 feet in the air (A few of them have said 400 feet, but I kinda think they might be just a tad off with their guesstimations).
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Much of this area was in bad need of a fire, preferably controlled burn. It was so overgrown, most of the land is completely impassable. Now, thanks to the lack of controlled burning, instead of ground fires cleaning some of the bushes and shrubs, the flames have easy access to the taller trees, turning it into a monsterous fire. Some folks that live out near some of the hot spots are reporting flames shooting 200 feet in the air (A few of them have said 400 feet, but I kinda think they might be just a tad off with their guesstimations).
We were watching the Motion fire burn from the 4th floor of the hospital. I'm not sure how far away we are from those mountains but I have to think it's at least 6-10 miles and we could see the flames rise into the air.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Signed,
Also less carbon emissions (of which, forest fires make up nearly 50% of the world's output yearly).

But seriously, that's like saying that a fisherman's goal is to capture and kill every fish in the world. Which doesn't make any sense if you think about it. Which you obviously didn't.

"Hey, if I get rid of all my brain cells, there's nothing to freeze when I eat ice cream!"

Signed,
Mike Waters
Old 07-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You're welcome.