cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Oh, how I love that story. It's even better if you hear him say it on tape.

More to come!
You're an idiot, so is grapevine, and so is Bruce R.

Thank the Lord for sending us people like Robinson, Millet, Hafen, Holland, etc. to straighten up that mess.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos

Thank the Lord for sending us people like Robinson, Millet, Hafen, Holland, etc. to straighten up that mess.
What about me, aren't I doing a good job of straightening things out?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #13
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
I can see loving this. It's a gem in its own right. But strictly in an ironic sort of way. Is that how you mean it? In a sense this passage could not be more distasteful. BRM's outlook is so pat he displays outright immaturity here. But to make matters worse it's pat in a smug, and pitiless sort of way. He pretends to know things for certain no mortal can know, and about which only the most arrogant and insufferable mortals would claim knowledge or even speculate. While judging this man and his wife as if he were God Himself he shows not the slightest bit of compassion or humility. I love this because BRM renders a perfect charicature of poeple such as himeslf while being deadly earnest and not even realizing what a fire and brimstone breathing bafoon he makes himself out to be. It makes me wonder if he was addled when he wrote his infamous tome. How poignant is the irony here considering that he was one of the primary champions of the priesthood ban. I don't pretend to know if he'll be "saved" or burn in hell. But I do know this: From his writings he appears to have been a terrible human being.
I'm sure this is the first and last time I'll agree with SU on a religion post or any post maybe. But he's got it exactly right.

Also, SU, that was cute how you typed "It makes me wonder if he was confused when he wrote his infamous book." in Word, ran it through the thesaurus and changed it to make you look like you're smarter than everyone else. Todd Christensen does the same embrassing things in his Daily Herald articles. Sometimes it's better to KISS.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #14
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

For people so upset at the idea of judging others, you're all pretty quick to bring the hammer down on people you disagree with.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #15
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

There is nothing quite as disheartening as seeing proclaimed members of God's kingdom (outwardly, that is) squeal with glee at the prospect of others not receiving their same level of anticipated rewards, due to technicalities.

And then hiding behind the seminary cop-out of don't judge me!

This reminds me of a guy named Jimmy. He met the perfect girl and they dated for a while. However, when he discovered she was a young widow, he had nothing more to do with her. His logic:

"She is already sealed to someone else. If I were to love and care for her, it would be for mortality only, and then I would die and be unable to get into the celestial kingdom."

Interesting. Jimmy wants to go to the CK, a place of uniform love, charity, concecration and service. Jimmy abhors the widow, to earn his ticket.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #16
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
And then hiding behind the seminary cop-out of don't judge me!
If "don't judge me!" is a cop-out, can we agree that it's always a cop-out? Because I've seen it used both ways by multiple people.

Quote:
"She is already sealed to someone else. If I were to love and care for her, it would be for mortality only, and then I would die and be unable to get into the celestial kingdom."
Um, valid concern. Why should he not be thinking about that?

From my view, you failed to present any evidence that he "abhors the widow."
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #17
jay santos

[QUOTE=JohnnyLingo]If "don't judge me!" is a cop-out, can we agree that it's always a cop-out? Because I've seen it used both ways by multiple people. QUOTE]

This is true. You're right. I should be just as accepting of those who judge as I'd like them to be of those they judge.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #18
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos

That is pretty strong language. Bruce McConkie is a lot of things but an idiot is certainly not one of them.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #19
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
That is pretty strong language. Bruce McConkie is a lot of things but an idiot is certainly not one of them.
True. Wrong choice of words. Maybe jerk?
Old 05-12-2006, 07:25 PM   #20
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapevine
I know people that said they were around BRM and Joseph Fielding Smith and said it was the most pleasent experience of there lives.
Where these people celibate?