cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will Mormonism disappear?
21 1 16.67%
22 1 16.67%
23 2 33.33%
24 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #121
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

You know, exposing a midriff is a very easy way for a thin woman to score some easy hotness points. No matter how homely, she shows me a tummy and I always seem to pause.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #122
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I'm finished.

You have made a very cogent point about the Church going after people who wear nametags. As evidenced by the other examples I provided, it is very clear that the Church is really interested in protecting its "insignia."

Hey, you didnt respond. What happened to the Colorado missionary who wore the church insignia? Did he get exed?
Your equivalency test needs to be recalibrated. You've now destroyed all credibility and officially cemented your reputation for being daft and dense.

Situation 1: Calendar with shirtless men designed to sexually arouse. Much of the sexual energy comes from the juxtaposition of LDS missionaries (symbols of public virtue) coupled with Playgirl and homoerotic imagery. The fact that they were representatives of the Church is key, and is fully capitalized on in both the marketing of the calendar and in its presentation.

Situation 2: Beaker and green man are dressed up like missionaries. A funny send up to the many missionary companionships we've witnessed where the physical mismatch is glaring. Plus, many missionaries are physically awkward. But still, this humor is also slightly affecting: despite their physical awkwardness, they serve, and they serve well.

Situation 3: People dressed up like missionaries take a photograph of supposed carousing with a girl while drinking wine. This sophomoric attempt at humor falls flat and is ineffective. The target are those missionaries who disobey the rules and carouse with girls and wine. This photograph is not marketed, was obviously taken as a joke on a bored Saturday night.

Your inability to apply any sort of judgment to different situations is what makes you daft. Cubed.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #123
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Your equivalency test needs to be recalibrated. You've now destroyed all credibility and officially cemented your reputation for being daft and dense.
I can see that you feel very strongly about this and I respect your decision to officially declare my credibility to be destroyed. That is harsh, but I can live with your decision.

I may hang on to my credibility insignia, so I can impersonate those with actual credibility. Please don't excommunicate me.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #124
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You have made a very cogent point about the Church going after people who wear nametags. As evidenced by the other examples I provided, it is very clear that the Church is really interested in protecting its "insignia."

Hey, you didnt respond. What happened to the Colorado missionary who wore the church insignia? Did he get exed?
Red herring, yet again.

Quote:
I'm finished.
One can hope.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #125
Levin

Quote:
I can see that you feel very strongly about this and I respect your decision to officially declare my credibility to be destroyed. That is harsh, but I can live with your decision.

I may hang on to my credibility insignia, so I can impersonate those with actual credibility. Please don't excommunicate me.
Glad to see the white flag of surrender. You've been crushed by reason, by friend.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 10-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #126
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Glad to see the white flag of surrender. You've been crushed by reason, by friend.
truthfully, I am still unsure as to your point. that the guys were wearing nametags, so the Church moved to protect itself?

Good point.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #127
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
truthfully, I am still unsure as to your point. that the guys were wearing nametags, so the Church moved to protect itself?

Good point.
The church moved to protect itself from the image, which association the name tags (among other things) helped to make.

Come now, Triplet. You aren't as stupid as this ridiculous line of thought makes you look.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #128
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The church moved to protect itself from the image, which association the name tags (among other things) helped to make.

Come now, Triplet. You aren't as stupid as this ridiculous line of thought makes you look.
Tex, please summarize my "line of thought" as you see it.

Honestly, break it down for me here. What is it that you think I am saying? No BS response, give a clear succint answer.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #129
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
You know, exposing a midriff is a very easy way for a thin woman to score some easy hotness points. No matter how homely, she shows me a tummy and I always seem to pause.
That made me laugh.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #130
Levin

Quote:

Good point.
Let me repeat: Calendar with shirtless men designed to sexually arouse. Much of the sexual energy comes from the juxtaposition of LDS missionaries (symbols of public virtue) coupled with Playgirl and homoerotic imagery. The fact that they were representatives of the Church is key, and is fully capitalized on in both the marketing of the calendar and in its presentation.

Have you seen Airplane? You know the part where the passengers line up to slap the hysterical woman over and over in an effort to try to get her to stop crying? I feel that's what we need to do with you.