cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #111
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It either uses that language or language about predatory conduct.

I can see youth, well, if I have it for four weeks that's not extended but eight weeks is.

Should bishops distribute charts?

Can you have sex just six times over four weeks? Does it count as one episode no matter how many times the couple orgasm? All sorts of wonderful analysis is possible.
The more important part of the guidelines is whether or not the person has exhibited a broken heart and a contrite spirit, sought repentence and received forgiveness.

If your hypothetical youth are asking these kinds of questions, I think the hypothetical bishop/SP can make a pretty safe assumption they aren't that repentant.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #112
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The more important part of the guidelines is whether or not the person has exhibited a broken heart and a contrite spirit, sought repentence and received forgiveness.

If your hypothetical youth are asking these kinds of questions, I think the hypothetical bishop/SP can make a pretty safe assumption they aren't that repentant.
No, that's not the important part of the guideline. The guideline is very specific. It forces a bishop to deny a prospective missionary no matter how deep the broken heart and contrite spirit is. I don't have a copy of the handbook but when I read it before I recall it being "multiple" partners or "multiple" incidents with same partner. I could be wrong on the latter, but I know that's how my bishop interpreted it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #113
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Most persons, outside of some discreet religious sects, do not.
Why I do is that I do believe you can be a great leader and have ascribed to the religious right view on sex in your youth. However, they are the minority.

Most leaders are not people who practiced the religious right view on sex in their youth. Even a less number of leaders practiced strict adherence to honor code standards and had the academic credentials to get into BYU.

I think Mitt Romney is a leader and I believe he could have gotten into BYU under the current restrictions. I think he is the exception.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #114
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It either uses that language or language about predatory conduct.

I can see youth, well, if I have it for four weeks that's not extended but eight weeks is.

Should bishops distribute charts?

Can you have sex just six times over four weeks? Does it count as one episode no matter how many times the couple orgasm? All sorts of wonderful analysis is possible.
This is why I would never bring up indiscretions to the bishop or SP if I wanted to go on a mission. The wording in the handbood is too ambiguous and I'd be afraid they would misinterpret it. The best approach is to simply confess the sin to God, and then if God deems you not worthy, He can reveal it to the bishop and SP. Luckily, our leaders receive revelation and are able to make inspired decisions.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #115
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
This is why I would never bring up indiscretions to the bishop or SP if I wanted to go on a mission. The wording in the handbood is too ambiguous and I'd be afraid they would misinterpret it. The best approach is to simply confess the sin to God, and then if God deems you not worthy, He can reveal it to the bishop and SP. Luckily, our leaders receive revelation and are able to make inspired decisions.
God told my bishop that I masturbated.

Bishop: Do you masturbate?

SoonerCoug: No

Bishop: Are you sure?

SoonerCoug: I'm positive.

Bishop: Because I have the spirit of discernment, and I think you masturbate.

SoonerCoug: I don't. Really.

Bishop: Do you dry hump?

SoonerCoug: No

Bishop: Do you know what dry humping is?? Simulated sex?

SoonerCoug: Bishop, I've never even kissed a girl.

Bishop: Well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt just this one time.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:12 PM   #116
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The single biggest contributing factor in the decrease in the number of missionaries in the field (by a large margin) is due to demographics: the decline in the average number of kids in LDS homes has started to kick in.
What??? And it just happened to correlate with the "raising the bar" issue?

Come on, Indy.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #117
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hilarious. Yes, irreverent, synical, and having some knowledge of the source, a swipe at LDS. Yet still, very funny.

NS, you're on a roll this week.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:14 PM   #118
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The concept that somebody is contrite enough to confess the sin to another individual escapes you.

I believe confession is psychologically beneficial, but that the penalties assessed need to be more reasonable for common human failings.

It's the attitude of some, not all, leaders regarding sinners that concerns me.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #119
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
One of your funniest posts in a while. Nicely done.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #120
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

I've never believed the death penalty deters anyone from committing murder; it's human nature to not kill someone. I've also never believed the Mormon "death penalty" of not being allowed to serve a mission deters a teenager from making sexual mistakes; sex drive is human nature. Kids, specifically teenagers in this case, are going to make mistakes no matter the consequence, and the ONLY thing that matters (or should matter anyway) is if the kid has tried to repent. How is the Atonement somehow not applicable when a kid wants to give up two years for the Lord's work?

On a related note, who cares if a kid has had multiple sex partners if he's repented? The Atonement applies to him/her just as much as the next person.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote