cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ugly loss against Oregon

Haws disappointing. Non-factor in the game. But that's who he is. He's a good shooter and a poor defender. And he needs people around him to do things. He's not a guy who comes into the game and imposes his will.

Nate Austin had a lobotomy before the game. I'm disappointed with him. I can appreciate that he tried to reinvent himself this season as a rebounder and a defender. But on offense he was a liability and actually regressed. He used to comfortably take that 17 foot jumper from the baseline. Now he doesn't.

Mika played ok. Still not up to his potential, at least in my book.

We saw good Carlino and bad Carlino. But mostly bad Carlino. Same ol' streaky unreliable play.

Bartley was aggressive, but in a winning fashion. Halford is the 3 point assassin. He assassinates your hope everytime he shoots.

Anson was ok, but again he's a guy that gets his in the flow and there was no flow.

The zone defense was horrid. They'd swing the ball twice and the Oregon guard would have a wide open lane. Defense would completely break down. Forced BYU to go to the man to man and the results were just as bad. Guys helping when they didn't need to be. Still not able to stop penetration. This is a HORRIBLE defensive team esp. with Collinsworth out.

DAVE ROSE YOU CAN'T TEACH A LICK OF DEFENSE AND I'M GETTING SICK OF IT.

This team needs better bigs. It needs to be able to play Haws at the 2. He can't guard any 3's. At least with 2's he has a shot. You can't go into the season with Worthington as your off-the-bench big. He's terrible. He's going on a mission, right? I hope it's a 10 year mission. This kid just isn't a player that should normally get a scholarship for BYU. Walk-on guy that plays a couple garbage minutes? Sure.

Well next year we will have a different look with the new players. That will be welcome. I just hope Rose can do a better job building chemistry on the team than he did this year. I would call this year Rose's worst job. The coaching was just as erratic and bad as the play on the court.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Some have the theory that the real brains behind Cougar basketball was Dave Rice and that we have suffered ever since he left. Notice that in timeouts it is often Pope talking and drawing up plays/defenses?

I don't know what to make of this. But I can say I am not convinced that Rose can coach defense.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Some have the theory that the real brains behind Cougar basketball was Dave Rice and that we have suffered ever since he left. Notice that in timeouts it is often Pope talking and drawing up plays/defenses?

I don't know what to make of this. But I can say I am not convinced that Rose can coach defense.
Yes but Rice's teams despite superior talent have under performed at UNLV.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:12 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Maybe that part of BYU rubbed off on Rice. The choke job.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

RICE offered the job at South Florida.
http://m.reviewjournal.com/sports/un...-south-florida