cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 12:03 AM   #1
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So I just started reading the David O McKay book and saw

that Gregory Prince wrote another book titled "Power from on High: The Development of Mormon Priesthood". Has anyone read this? Is it a good book?
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:19 AM   #2
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Greg Prince has a blog called "UNcORRELATED." You'll find it here:

http://www.uncorrelated.com/

He's a businessman, not a "scholar," at least by trade. He also tilts to the left of the political spectrum. Nothing wrong with that, but I think it does explain why all the politically conservative GA's in the McKay book tend to look bad and the more liberal ones tend to look good.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:26 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah I came away from the book thinking that the authors tended to be more sympathetic towards the "liberals". Of course when we say liberal, we mean something different than most people mean. Our liberals believe in civil rights, don't believe that Eisenhower was conspiring with the Communists, aren't pure creationists, etc.

In other words, our liberals are far right-wingers, but not nut-jobs.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:15 PM   #4
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ute
Greg Prince has a blog called "UNcORRELATED." You'll find it here:

http://www.uncorrelated.com/

He's a businessman, not a "scholar," at least by trade. He also tilts to the left of the political spectrum. Nothing wrong with that, but I think it does explain why all the politically conservative GA's in the McKay book tend to look bad and the more liberal ones tend to look good.
Thanks, thats an interesting site. Personally, by Utah standards I am a liberal also, so no big deal. I am about halfway through the second chapter so far, so I haven't really noticed anything yet as far as his political leanings.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ute
I think that Wright did the writing and Prince reviewed the writing. Wright ran for Gov. in Utah as a Republican (I think, I don't have the book with me right now).
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote