cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vs. Gonzaga at Provo

Finally win a big game.

Defense was much better this game. Limited penetration. Didn't let David Stockton freelance in the lane. Didn't give up as many open 3's. And when Gonzaga did have open 3's they didn't knock them down. Our big also did a much better job in this game.

Who would have expected Anson Winder to lead all scorers for BYU and not miss a free throw? Contributions all around. They finally look like a team that wants to win.

Kyle Collinsworth was also huge this game. He's starting to fulfill my early season predictions.

So I guess Lunardi has BYU as among the last 4 in. No guarantees. They need to win out in conference. I think they also probably need to get to the title game of the tourney (long odds on that given BYU's history in conference tourneys).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Finally win a big game.

Defense was much better this game. Limited penetration. Didn't let David Stockton freelance in the lane. Didn't give up as many open 3's. And when Gonzaga did have open 3's they didn't knock them down. Our big also did a much better job in this game.

Who would have expected Anson Winder to lead all scorers for BYU and not miss a free throw? Contributions all around. They finally look like a team that wants to win.

Kyle Collinsworth was also huge this game. He's starting to fulfill my early season predictions.

So I guess Lunardi has BYU as among the last 4 in. No guarantees. They need to win out in conference. I think they also probably need to get to the title game of the tourney (long odds on that given BYU's history in conference tourneys).
Good win.

Rose is showing some savvy in shuffling his line up. Letting Sharpe get the early fouls to save Mika worked well.

Maybe you've changed your position on Winder's ability to contribute and to defend?

It was great that Winder went 10 for 10 from the FT line.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I watched the game very quickly, fast-forwarding. So I missed some of the action.

I think Winder has shown some utility and moxy and deserves to take some minutes away from the accountant.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I think Winder has shown some utility and moxy and deserves to take some minutes away from the accountant.
This is as close as you will ever get to me saying that I was wrong and you were right.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
Snowcat

Snowcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I watched the game very quickly, fast-forwarding. So I missed some of the action.

And he plays some defense.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Our real defensive problem is when we force Haws to guard small forwards and power forwards. Esp. when Haws is down at the baseline on the zone.

Also our bonehead doubleteam handoffs on zone defense leading to wide open 3s. Didn't happen in this game as much.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Our real defensive problem is when we force Haws to guard small forwards and power forwards. Esp. when Haws is down at the baseline on the zone.

Also our bonehead doubleteam handoffs on zone defense leading to wide open 3s. Didn't happen in this game as much.
Haws has Jimmer syndrome, he forgets there are two ends of the court.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
This is as close as you will ever get to me saying that I was wrong and you were right.
Others seem to be noticing now.

Anson Winder is number one in WCC in offensive efficiency.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/sta...2013-2014&min=

Quote:
All in all, as you can see, this season has been quite the winding road for the aptly-named junior shooting guard. It seems Winder deserves a ton of credit for staying mentally prepared and positive enough, through it all, to be ready to help his team out when it needed him most.
Winder had many reasons and opportunities to hang his head or throw in the towel this season but he didn’t. It’s a nice lesson and example in perseverance and character.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...iley.html?pg=2

Last edited by Archaea; 02-24-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:48 AM   #9
Snowcat

Snowcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Based on the past two games, it looks like they are getting better at this.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:28 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcat View Post
Based on the past two games, it looks like they are getting better at this.
I agree. If just Josh Sharp improves his rotation that would be huge. He's dumb as a rock when it comes to defense.