cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Loss to SDSU

I was disappointed that BYU came out in the zone. After doing mostly or completely man to man in their prior 3 games.

If this team is going to get better they HAVE to be able to play at least some man-to-man. I felt like this was Dave Rose waving the white flag yet again. Pissed me off.

Having said that, the zone was pretty effective in the 2nd half. Instead of SDSU getting better against the zone, they got worse. They were not efficient at all in attacking the zone in the 2nd half. So, I guess I stand corrected somewhat, but I still don't like the idea that BYU is going to play 100% zone against every tough, athletic opponent.

What else did we learn? That Rose doesn't trust Worthington. We learned that Nielsen and Kaufusi are probably going to get a lot more minutes the rest of the season. It's just too bad that Nate Austin has had ZERO development and even regression during his BYU career. Why can't they let this guy shoot 15 footers? He used to be able to. Neilsen is already a more effective offensive weapon than either Austin or Worthington (the bar is pitifully low).

Haws was completely outclassed in the first half. Like a boy playing against men. But he really showed something in the second half. He was most effective when BYU was running screens for him and he could get a moment for a look. He couldn't create his own shot. But he was very effective in the second half. I dare say this may have been Haws best game ever.

Fischer didn't show much. He looked like a typical white shooting guard (i.e. no bounce, just shoot open 3s). Fischer's inability to secure the rebound at the end of the first overtime was huge. Had he held it, BYU would have won.

Collinsworth had a huge game. I think Collinsworth, when healthy, is BYU's best, most dominant player. He showed flashes tonight that he's healthier, and frankly, he carried BYU offensively for much of the game, esp. when Haws was doing his disappearing act.

I was mystified why Rose went to Nixon. He was burned twice in rapid succession for 2 buckets. He adds nothing. He's just a body on the floor. On offense, he is a high post that is no threat. And on defense he is a huge liability.

Rose leaned on Winder as a ball handler for much of the game. With Fischer and Haws unable to handle the ball, needed Winder out there to help Collinsworth. Rose went to 4 guard lineups for much of the end of the game. Halford didn't play due to injury. This was big, because BYU could have used a dribble-drive creator. And frankly, by the end, BYU was too tired. Too many minutes. Rose has a big bench, but not a lot of players he can trust.

This is a game that BYU almost stole. I thought SDSU played poorly, and I would expect SDSU to win 7 out of 10 against BYU. Too bad for BYU and Rose.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I was disappointed that BYU came out in the zone. After doing mostly or completely man to man in their prior 3 games.

If this team is going to get better they HAVE to be able to play at least some man-to-man. I felt like this was Dave Rose waving the white flag yet again. Pissed me off.

Having said that, the zone was pretty effective in the 2nd half. Instead of SDSU getting better against the zone, they got worse. They were not efficient at all in attacking the zone in the 2nd half. So, I guess I stand corrected somewhat, but I still don't like the idea that BYU is going to play 100% zone against every tough, athletic opponent.

What else did we learn? That Rose doesn't trust Worthington. We learned that Nielsen and Kaufusi are probably going to get a lot more minutes the rest of the season. It's just too bad that Nate Austin has had ZERO development and even regression during his BYU career. Why can't they let this guy shoot 15 footers? He used to be able to. Neilsen is already a more effective offensive weapon than either Austin or Worthington (the bar is pitifully low).

Haws was completely outclassed in the first half. Like a boy playing against men. But he really showed something in the second half. He was most effective when BYU was running screens for him and he could get a moment for a look. He couldn't create his own shot. But he was very effective in the second half. I dare say this may have been Haws best game ever.

Fischer didn't show much. He looked like a typical white shooting guard (i.e. no bounce, just shoot open 3s). Fischer's inability to secure the rebound at the end of the first overtime was huge. Had he held it, BYU would have won.

Collinsworth had a huge game. I think Collinsworth, when healthy, is BYU's best, most dominant player. He showed flashes tonight that he's healthier, and frankly, he carried BYU offensively for much of the game, esp. when Haws was doing his disappearing act.

I was mystified why Rose went to Nixon. He was burned twice in rapid succession for 2 buckets. He adds nothing. He's just a body on the floor. On offense, he is a high post that is no threat. And on defense he is a huge liability.

Rose leaned on Winder as a ball handler for much of the game. With Fischer and Haws unable to handle the ball, needed Winder out there to help Collinsworth. Rose went to 4 guard lineups for much of the end of the game. Halford didn't play due to injury. This was big, because BYU could have used a dribble-drive creator. And frankly, by the end, BYU was too tired. Too many minutes. Rose has a big bench, but not a lot of players he can trust.

This is a game that BYU almost stole. I thought SDSU played poorly, and I would expect SDSU to win 7 out of 10 against BYU. Too bad for BYU and Rose.
Disappointed BYU did not steal that one. Fisher played poorly, and there are no interior scoring options. Nielson is the most likely choice after KC.

Agree that KC is BYU's best player and poses the most match up problems. Good to see he is recovering.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Zone is effective against SDSU because they totally suck at shooting from outside. BYU played man against Purdue most of the second half and seemed to do pretty well with it. Again, too bad the winning shot missed again. This team isn't far away from being 7-0.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I am encouraged that BYU has been playing more man since SDSU.

Because a whole season of zone was going to drive me postal.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

I think we'll see mostly man tonight against USU, but we'll find out. I think they'll want to play man to try to speed up the game because Stew is going to try to slow it way down.