cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 01:54 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Training on Sunday?

Quote:
By the time the 20th century arrived, playing sports on Sunday - and going to games - in this country gained wider acceptance. Previously, there had been two basic interpretations, Harline says, of how Sunday should be observed: 1) the English tradition, and 2) the Continental European tradition.
The first was Puritanical, restrained and restricted. The second, robust, filled with feasts and fun.
"How do you measure religion?" Harline asks. "It's tough. Some believe the more you give up, the less fun you have, the more religious you are. Others don't think that way."
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6491988
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

"Is there a point at which you do more harm than good by not playing [or watching] on Sunday? I don't know. It comes down to an individual decision. If there's something to do on Sunday that allows you to feel better about yourself, then, do it."

I ride on Sunday mornings but I also respect and understand those that don't ride on Sunday. For me it is a positive both physically and mentality. I feel better about myself and I'm not so ancy in church because I haven't done anything all day.

I'm kinda the black sheep on a block full of mullahs anyway so it gives them something to talk about.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

This is one of those things that I don't give much thought to anymore. I'm fine with riding on Sunday's which drives my wife nuts. We'll go on a walk every sunday night, or even a bike ride on our mountain bikes, but if i put on my stretchy pants and do a longer ride on my road bike, that's breaking the sabbath. It's just one of those things we don't see eye to eye on as I don't see a problem with it even though I haven't done it.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
This is one of those things that I don't give much thought to anymore. I'm fine with riding on Sunday's which drives my wife nuts. We'll go on a walk every sunday night, or even a bike ride on our mountain bikes, but if i put on my stretchy pants and do a longer ride on my road bike, that's breaking the sabbath. It's just one of those things we don't see eye to eye on as I don't see a problem with it even though I haven't done it.
If you had said you put on your shorts and a t-shirt and went out and rode, I would have no problem with it. However when you said you put on your stretchy pants, I have a different feeling, like maybe you are breaking the Sabbath.

I am not trying to make a joke here. It probably has to do with thinking those that wear the stretchy pants are doing something serious and those with shorts on are not. Kind of like if my kids wanted to throw the ball around in the back yard, no big deal. If they wanted a neighborhood ball game, then it was a big deal.

I guess it is perception and silly if you really think about it. What difference really is there in a guy riding 5 miles on Sunday in stretchy pants vs some shorts.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I've been surprised by how many fitness gurus will advice that you rest on Sunday. Even Gym Jones, the guys who trained the actors for 300, schedules rest on Sunday.

Best lesson I ever got on Sunday activities was from my Grandfather. I was about 10 or 12, and we were at our family cabin in Midway, UT, not too far from a tennis court. I wanted to go play tennis with my brother-- Mom said no, because it was Sunday. Ever resourceful, I appealed to a higher court and asked Grandfather if it was okay to play sports on Sunday if it was with family. He didn't give me a yes or no answer-- he simply explained that what we do on Sunday is a demonstration to God of our love for Him. He told me to do what I thought would show God the proper respect.

"So . . . I can play, right?"

"If you think that shows God that you love Him, sure."

Naturally, I didn't go.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with Viking on this one. As long as one attends one's meetings, I see no reason for riding being wrong, but my sensitivities may be skewed. If somebody doesn't wish to exercise then I respect that but hope such a person can respect my feeling better about myself by riding.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'm with Viking on this one. As long as one attends one's meetings, I see no reason for riding being wrong, but my sensitivities may be skewed. If somebody doesn't wish to exercise then I respect that but hope such a person can respect my feeling better about myself by riding.
For some reason I vision the same guy blasting people for riding on Sunday. He is the guy that works people over for drinking caffeinated drinks.

He sits there in Priesthood meeting sitting on two chairs, a bum cheek on each chair.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I've been surprised by how many fitness gurus will advice that you rest on Sunday. Even Gym Jones, the guys who trained the actors for 300, schedules rest on Sunday.

Best lesson I ever got on Sunday activities was from my Grandfather. I was about 10 or 12, and we were at our family cabin in Midway, UT, not too far from a tennis court. I wanted to go play tennis with my brother-- Mom said no, because it was Sunday. Ever resourceful, I appealed to a higher court and asked Grandfather if it was okay to play sports on Sunday if it was with family. He didn't give me a yes or no answer-- he simply explained that what we do on Sunday is a demonstration to God of our love for Him. He told me to do what I thought would show God the proper respect.

"So . . . I can play, right?"

"If you think that shows God that you love Him, sure."

Naturally, I didn't go.
Not to go 'priesthood lesson' on you, but I've always liked Mark 3:1-5.

I try to ask myself, "Am I doing good?"
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
For some reason I vision the same guy blasting people for riding on Sunday. He is the guy that works people over for drinking caffeinated drinks.

He sits there in Priesthood meeting sitting on two chairs, a bum cheek on each chair.
Nice visual.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

His wife is in RS lecturing the sisters on the evils of storebought clothes, "hypnotic" music and not giving birth on eighteen month intervals.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote