cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2008, 04:38 AM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Roger Clemens

Just curious how this circus is affecting your opinion of the Rocket. It's looking more and more to me like Clemens' team will be successful in making his trainer look like a crazier version of Monica Lewinski. Roger is going to walk out of this thing with his rep intact because nothing can be proven. The sad thing is though, I believe his trainer.

The most amazing thing is that Clemens may even be successful at making the Mitchell Report look like a complete failure.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:58 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Really? I was thinking just the opposite. The trainer busts out photos of syringes and also injects Rocket's wife with HGH. Why would the trainer be crazy when it comes to Roger yet be accurate when it comes to Knoblauch, Pettitte, et al?

In this baseball age of steroids and cheaters, the athletes who deny using are not very credible. It is well documented that steroids and greenies are simply part of baseball culture. Why go on denying it?

The one thing I have noticed about ALL these athletes who claim innocence......not ONE single successful lawsuit for libel or slander against any accuser. Not one.

Clemens will always have this hanging over his head now, regardless of whether he escapes criminal prosecution. He is a cheater.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Really? I was thinking just the opposite. The trainer busts out photos of syringes and also injects Rocket's wife with HGH. Why would the trainer be crazy when it comes to Roger yet be accurate when it comes to Knoblauch, Pettitte, et al?

In this baseball age of steroids and cheaters, the athletes who deny using are not very credible. It is well documented that steroids and greenies are simply part of baseball culture. Why go on denying it?

The one thing I have noticed about ALL these athletes who claim innocence......not ONE single successful lawsuit for libel or slander against any accuser. Not one.

Clemens will always have this hanging over his head now, regardless of whether he escapes criminal prosecution. He is a cheater.
I hope you're right. I've felt Clemens was as obvious as Bonds when it came to roiding. I'd hate to see him destroy McNamee and walk away from this thing as some kind of hero to all the users. If all the Mitchell report can do in the end is produce he said/he said arguments it'll have been nothing but annoying.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 02-11-2008 at 05:40 AM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Just curious how this circus is affecting your opinion of the Rocket. It's looking more and more to me like Clemens' team will be successful in making his trainer look like a crazier version of Monica Lewinski. Roger is going to walk out of this thing with his rep intact because nothing can be proven. The sad thing is though, I believe his trainer.

The most amazing thing is that Clemens may even be successful at making the Mitchell Report look like a complete failure.
I am a Red Sox fan. I am sworn to hate Clemens until Hell freezes over. Therefore, anything that makes him look like an idiot is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The one thing I have noticed about ALL these athletes who claim innocence......not ONE single successful lawsuit for libel or slander against any accuser. Not one..
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the standard for slander/libel pretty high when the victim is a public figure?
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

The funny part about all this is that Mcnamee has provided bloody gauze and syringes that he claims have Clemens blood on them which is fine, my question is why did he hold on to them for 8 years?

My other question is Mcnamee said in the Mitchell report that Clemens was at a party with Jose Canseco in 1998 talking about steroids, when they have proof Clemens was playing golf and not at the party and even Jose (who is out to get everyone) says Clemens was not there.

So that at least brings in to question the validity of some of the things Mcnamee has said.

Wednesday will be a very interesting day.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the standard for slander/libel pretty high when the victim is a public figure?
I am channeling my inner Bar-Bri here, but if I recall correctly, the additional prong in the analysis for Public Figure is that there needs to be malice or reckless disregard for the truth. All other aspects of a libel/slander suit are the same.

I would say that once you are producing photgraphs of the alleged syringes used to inject the Rocket in his butt-ocks, you have crossed over the line of embellishment and into the Libel Zone.

That being said, my point was that no suit was ever even filed. I wasnt talking about winning the suit.

While your hunch about a higher standard is true, I find it hard to believe that the lawyers for Bonds and Clemens are telling their clients...."Nah, let's just ignore it....the burden of proof is too hard...." I think what it more likely is they are saying, "Um, let's NOT risk having all of your secrets and lies exposed during the discovery process...."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote