cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Valentinus1

Valentinus1 is on a distinguished road
Default Theodotus

I'm reading a book on Gnosticis by Stephen Hoeller. Actually, its a textbook for a class. I wanted to share something from Excerpta de Theodoto:

Quote:
What makes us free is the gnosis
of who we were
of what we have become
of where we were
of wherein we have been cast
of whereto we are hastening
of what we are being freed
of what birth really is
of what rebirth really is.
I thought this to be profound. In my studying LDS theology and also my school studying of Gnosticism, I find similarities in belief. What are your thoughts concerning the above?

This particular quotation struck me:

Quote:
Gershom Scholem, the great scholar of Jewish mysticism, spoke of this experience as a mystical esotericism based on acquisition of a higher knowledge of things heavenly and divine. Scholem was also greatly impressed by the preoccupation of second- and third-century Gnostics with ascending through the spheres (phases of plan of salvation?) of the planets to a realm beyond the earth and the cosmos (Kolob?), thus returning in consciousness to their true spiritual home in the fullness of the divine Light--a return that signified redemption in the Gnostic tradition. These "heavenly flights" are peraps the central metaphor for the liberating and sanctifying knowledge to which these people aspired.
Bolded words added by poster.

My questions are:

1) Am I off base in making the comparison of progression (ascension) through the spheres?

2) Is it possible that there really is a tie between Mormon Christianity and Gnostic Christianity?

This doesn't change how I feel about the LDS Church. I am fascinated by it.

Hoeller on Gnosticism:

Quote:
I think we could describe it as a very early form of Christianity, very different in many respects from what Christianity became later on. It is much more individualistic. It is much more orientated toward the personal, spiritual advancement and transformation of the individual, regarding figures such as Jesus as being helpers rather than sacrificial saviors. It is a form of religion that has a much more ecumenical and universal scope in terms of its relationship to spiritual, religious traditions other than the Christian. I would say that this appears to be, as far as Gnosticism is concerned, the time that the Greeks called the kairos, the time when the Gods are reborn. We live in an age, I think, when certain timeless ideas, which have been submerged and subdued for a long time, are making their appearance once again. In that respect we're living in very interesting times as the Chinese would say. Interesting times, spiritually powerful times, always cast a great shadow. There will also be great difficulties, but I think that Gnostic traditions, along with a number of kindred ideas, are being reborn at this time, and will have a significant influence in the future. Those of us who find ourselves working within that field are singularly blessed that we can do this work at this particular time. So I feel I'm at the right place and at the right time and I am profoundly grateful for all of that.
------------------
Archaea:

I have taken the first 3 lessons by the missionaries. Though naive to the bigger questions I have about Christianity, I found them insightful and helpful in understanding LDS theology. I can see how you say that the LDS church is not 'accomodating' to my 'kind' but I'm not looking for accomodation. I'm looking for truth, wisdom and enlightenment.

-Teresa Moreno
Professor of Christian History and Ethics
Valentinus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinus1 View Post

------------------
Archaea:

I have taken the first 3 lessons by the missionaries. Though naive to the bigger questions I have about Christianity, I found them insightful and helpful in understanding LDS theology. I can see how you say that the LDS church is not 'accomodating' to my 'kind' but I'm not looking for accomodation. I'm looking for truth, wisdom and enlightenment.
Well I hope you are finding some of what you are looking for.

I will read the gnostic references you've listed and respond if I have anything meaningful to add. This aspect of Christianity and its relation to JS fascinate me as well. The Gospel of Judas is a gnostic work.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Valentinus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Well I hope you are finding some of what you are looking for.

I will read the gnostic references you've listed and respond if I have anything meaningful to add. This aspect of Christianity and its relation to JS fascinate me as well. The Gospel of Judas is a gnostic work.
I have the Gospel of Judas saved to my flash drive but have not gotten around to reading it.

One Gnostic gospel that intrigues me is the Coptic Gospel of Thomas, the gospel written by Didymos Judas Thomas, the twin of the Savior.

I hope to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

-Teresa Moreno
Old 10-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

For some more thoughts about gnosticism and Mormonism, read "The American Religion" by Bloom.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinus1 View Post
I have the Gospel of Judas saved to my flash drive but have not gotten around to reading it.

One Gnostic gospel that intrigues me is the Coptic Gospel of Thomas, the gospel written by Didymos Judas Thomas, the twin of the Savior.

I hope to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
The Gospel of Thomas is also interesting as well, though I would have to re-read it to post any cogent thoughts. I believe there is also a gnostic Gospel of Mary, but I might be in error.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Valentinus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The Gospel of Thomas is also interesting as well, though I would have to re-read it to post any cogent thoughts. I believe there is also a gnostic Gospel of Mary, but I might be in error.
There is a Gospel of Mary Magdelene. She is recognized as the first female apostle.

There are 2 Gospels of Thomas. There is the Infancy Gospel and the Coptic Gospel. The Infancy is about childhood conversation and the Coptic is 114 sayings of Jesus.

Valentinian gospels are the Gospel of Philip and the Gospel of Truth.

Not surprisingly, the Gospel of John is considered by many Gnostics to be a Gnostic Gospel.

There is also the Gospel of the Savior.

-Teresa Moreno

Last edited by Valentinus1; 10-30-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: something to add
Old 10-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
Valentinus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
For some more thoughts about gnosticism and Mormonism, read "The American Religion" by Bloom.
I've heard about it. Isn't it supposed to be a comparison of Gnosticism with other contemporary American religions?

-Teresa Moreno