cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How righteous were you?
Junior Companion 2 6.25%
Senior Companion 1 3.13%
Trainer 0 0%
District Leader 7 21.88%
Zone Leader 13 40.63%
Assistant to the President 7 21.88%
Non-AP Mission Office job 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2007, 08:47 PM   #31
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
where is trainer in the hierarchy of responsibility? I have heard of some mission presidents considering trainer to be a position only given to the most trusted (far more important than district leader, for example). what is your take?
My first missions president had a tradition of making someone a trainer after they had been trained (usually after two months). Unless you were just a complete loser. If you didn't make trainer after two months you knew you were a crappy missionary (note: I DID make trainer after 2 months ).

Most missionaries had one stint at trainer, if asked to train again down the road, it was a sign the MP thought you were an effective missionary.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #32
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Did you ever make AP? I would be a little disappointed in you if you didn't.
I didn't make AP because my MP learned he couldn't trust me. He was playing a numbers game with baptisms and new branches of which I disapproved. It was disheartening to hear about an area being a new Waters of Sidon, then being called there and only see a couple of old ladies and a bunch of kids attending and the missionaries doing everything. I think my MP was hoping to be called a Seventy, like his old missionary companion Gene R. Cook who was our area rep. (I think that's what they called him). They were both only about 35 back then. My MP never made it. My theory is Cook sunk him. The whole scene was like Lord of the Flies or a cock fight. We didn't have one of those everybody gets to be AP missions. Back then miraculous stories were told about baptisms in HR Junior's mission in the farmlands of Southern California. My sense is that HR Jr. was probably a numbers grubber himself. I think piling up numbers that way fell out of favor later.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
My first missions president had a tradition of making someone a trainer after they had been trained (usually after two months). Unless you were just a complete loser. If you didn't make trainer after two months you knew you were a crappy missionary (note: I DID make trainer after 2 months ).

Most missionaries had one stint at trainer, if asked to train again down the road, it was a sign the MP thought you were an effective missionary.
Interesting. Was your mission an "obedient" mission or a "problem" mission like the Arkansas Little Rock mission?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #34
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post

In the Cape Town mission when I was there, the president was fond of giving apostate missionaries greenies to train. I guess the idea was that this would cause the apostate to straighten out, but usually it just screwed up the greenie.

In Mada I think everyone trained. If you trained someone twice you were awesome. One elder trained six times I think.

(Note: I trained once.)
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:00 PM   #35
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Interesting. Was your mission an "obedient" mission or a "problem" mission like the Arkansas Little Rock mission?
I think it was fairly obedient, as far as stateside missions went. We did get alot of the mental health issues elders though.

Supposedly this stemmed from a meeting some GA's had with MP's - alot of the MP's didn't think elders with emotional issues should serve, my MP said he thought many of them could and should serve. So they sent alot of the Prozac elders to our mission. We had a few basket cases for sure, however, our MP was such a kind, loving, patient man, that many of these elders were able to serve successful missions.

My next MP was a prick, but that's another story.

I think the training after two month thing was really just another step in your training. You were forced out of your comfort zone and had to step up your game in a hurry. I really grew as a missionary during that period.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #36
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

I was Senior Comp for nearly 2 months.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #37
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
In the Cape Town mission when I was there, the president was fond of giving apostate missionaries greenies to train. I guess the idea was that this would cause the apostate to straighten out, but usually it just screwed up the greenie.
My second MP did that as well with similar results.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #38
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I have never understood this philosophy, in missions, in wards, wherever. "Let's take the biggest goof-off in the room and give him the most responsibility, then cross our fingers and hope he takes it seriously."

It almost never works.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:58 PM   #39
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Goatnapper will never respect me again. Assuming he ever did.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:29 AM   #40
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

i was an AP, and i miss the opportunity to screw around with people that i don't like by transferring them to shitty areas.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote