cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 05:41 PM   #11
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
they can tell when populations diverged.....they do not need DNA from 600 B.C. They only need data from other peoples in the world, and then compare their divergence.
Thats not totally true, they have been running into many problems with this type of assumption. There are still more questions then answers in this paticular area of study.

One specific problem is Mitochondrial mutations that have been found to have correlations with regional environments.

We are finding out new things every day.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
Interesting.

I find it disengenious when these folks condescendingly dismiss arguments for a limited geographical scope simply because "LDS tradition" traditionally envisioned a wider scope. A careful analysis of the locations/travel times/etc. in the BOM clearly point to a limited geographical region.
Why stop there? While they're at changing the story I think they should change it to make it bullet proof, to say that Lehi et al. migrated to, say, Malta. The ideal place would be an island in the Mediterranean with a Jewish community and darker skin than Northern Europeans. What other than LDS tradition says Lehi et al. came to America anyway? I don't recall the Book of Mormon even once using the word America.

They should have started this project of revision a long time ago; I could have forecast with 100% certainty how the DNA study would turn out. I haven't even paid much attention to it.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #13
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Here's another thought:

A reading of Hugh Nibley's "Lehi in the Desert" shows that Lehi practiced a lot of customs similar to contemporaneous Arabic tribes. He notes that the entire family regards Jerusalem and its people with a sense of detachment, and that the brothers' wining pertained mostly to their own lost treasures rather than abandoning their people. The hasty marriage to the daughters of Ishmael, who was of a different tribe (and whose name alone suggests Arabic ties) also shows the ties of Lehi's family to the desert.

Question: how much Asian DNA was already in the blood of Lehi's family before he began his journey to America?
Old 02-17-2006, 03:55 AM   #14
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

So I am not a lamanite anymore?

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:02 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkili
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
they can tell when populations diverged.....they do not need DNA from 600 B.C. They only need data from other peoples in the world, and then compare their divergence.
Thats not totally true, they have been running into many problems with this type of assumption. There are still more questions then answers in this paticular area of study.

One specific problem is Mitochondrial mutations that have been found to have correlations with regional environments.

We are finding out new things every day.
I dont' know what you mean, if populations are different in different regional environments, what does that prove? Doesn't prove that the region caused any changes. Just proves that different people are different.

I have faith in the church. I'm just not keen on doing a lot of mental gymnastics when I dont' have to. I'm comfortable with grey.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote