cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 10:51 PM   #11
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I know I don't have a dog in this fight, but I've got to say that this whole debate seems beyond silly. It seems like the two sides are arguing over whose version of the fairy tale makes more sense. If you're going to buy off on the whole concept of a loving God, then how can anyone think that that God is petty enough to exclude anyone based on who they accepted as their personal savior or based on how many times they went to Church. Is this earthly existence really nothing more than a cosmic episode of Survivor? I don't mean to trivialize beliefs that people hold sacred, but come on!! Don't you think that a God that could create a Universe could come up with a plan that makes a little more sense than what the two sides here are arguing about?
Amen. I have always had a hard time with the concept of loving parents removing our memories, sending us to earth, and leaving us on our own to pick the right God to worship and the right set of rituals to perform. It's not enough to just tell Heavenly Father we want to come back. We have to jump through all sorts of hoops or he will reject us. I know I could never kick my child out of my presence forever because he made choices that he thought were right, but turned out to be wrong. I think most people join a religion because they think it is going to draw them closer to their concept of God. It just seems downright mean to deny them "salvation" because they made the wrong choice. Especially when we have no real knowledge to go on. Just stories written long ago by people we don't know. Besides that, all the stories seem to contradict each other. The concept of a Savior also seems odd to me. If God is as great as he his and we are such lowly creatures, how could he judge us for any of our works? How can we be condemned for doing what is human nature? I could understand him judging us if he personally visited us and told us what was expected and we chose not to follow. Until I get my heavenly messenger, I'm just going to live life the best I can and try and treat others the way I would like to be treated. If that's not good enough for God, then so be it.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:17 AM   #12
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I can say a ton more on this (and on your second point) but I'm not sure how much interest there is, and I shall have to wait until later when I have more time. Today is, after all, Land Run Day. So I have two boys to dress up as cowboys so they can go re-enact the part of American History in which we take the land away from the Indians and give it to homesteaders free of charge.
Great post. When you get time, I'd be very interested in hearing more about Land Run Day.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:23 AM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Great post. When you get time, I'd be very interested in hearing more about Land Run Day.
Be sure to tell hm about why the 'sooners' are called the 'sooners.' ;-)
Old 04-21-2007, 12:25 AM   #14
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Funny you should mention that, Y. With your choice of apparel (the fringe and the hat) you'd fit right in with the six-year-olds and their pioneer garb. It'd be close, but you might even win best costume!
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #15
creekster

Quote:
Funny you should mention that, Y. With your choice of apparel (the fringe and the hat) you'd fit right in with the six-year-olds and their pioneer garb. It'd be close, but you might even win best costume!
I've always thought that his avatar looked a little too "Midnight Cowboy" if you know what I mean. Not that there is , blah, blah, blah.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #16
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Be sure to tell hm about why the 'sooners' are called the 'sooners.'
Funny you should mention that, as well, as the teacher selected my son to be one of the Sooners. (For those of you who don't know these are the guys that snuck across the line the night before the landrun in hopes of getting the best claims.)

So, the teacher asked Junior to be a Sooner. And she explained that he would run out and get a stake before the teacher blew the whistle for everyone else to start. And he asked, horrified, "You mean you want me to cheat!?"
Old 04-21-2007, 12:30 AM   #17
creekster

Quote:
Funny you should mention that, as well, as the teacher selected my son to be one of the Sooners. (For those of you who don't know these are the guys that snuck across the line the night before the landrun in hopes of getting the best claims.)

So, the teacher asked Junior to be a Sooner. And she explained that he would run out and get a stake before the teacher blew the whistle for everyone else to start. And he asked, horrified, "You mean you want me to cheat!?"
The Oklahoma heritage is a proud one indeed. Your son seems ot be overcoming it, however.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:44 AM   #18
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
<Ahem> comic book heroine for your avatar <cough cough>

Quote:
I've always thought that his avatar looked a little too "Midnight Cowboy" if you know what I mean. Not that there is , blah, blah, blah.
Not a big fan of Eli Cash?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:47 AM   #19
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
The Oklahoma heritage is a proud one indeed. Your son seems ot be overcoming it, however.
Sorry to disappoint, Creek, but there's still plenty of time to redirect Junior's thinking. You see, we don't tend to think of the Sooner heritage as so much cheating, per se. It's more a celebration of the art of finding creative advantages over one's peers.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:55 AM   #20
creekster

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint, Creek, but there's still plenty of time to redirect Junior's thinking. You see, we don't tend to think of the Sooner heritage as so much cheating, per se. It's more a celebration of the art of finding creative advantages over one's peers.
My best friend is from Norman/Edmond and he says the same sort of thing. I think your son had it right.