cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm sorry, this aisle is taken...

I have come upon quite possibly the most idiotic thing that I have ever seen in my ward. Over the years, people usually sit in a general area and other members of the ward expect that. The Smith family sits a couple rows back on the left side of the chapel...the Jacksons sit in the front row, etc. That is fine and it happens.

Let me tell you what is annoying. How about when your little boy wanders into the chapel during priesthood and you see bags, coats, scriptures, toys, etc. in nearly every bench in the chapel. People saving their spots over an hour before sacrament begins. I am not kidding. I would venture to guess that 75% of the chapel seating is 'saved' at least an hour before sacrament even begins. I fully expect that people will be camping outside of the church sometime in the next year in hopes and dreams of reserving their seat even earlier in the chapel.

At least nobody takes my family's seats in the overflow gym at the very back.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Wow that's just weird.

A lot of you guys have very odd wards. Maybe if wards had been as messed up as some of yours I'd have a different view of the church as well.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
At least nobody takes my family's seats in the overflow gym at the very back.
I don't understand seat hording. I do understand loving the back seats in the overflow.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Why would anyone want to sit in the chapel when there are couches in the foyer? I had the unfortunate obligation of attending church the past two weeks. Both were fast and testimony meetings. I really feel for you guys that attend every fast sunday. I think I'd rather go in for a bikini wax than have to endure that again. We got the weird looks from people because apparently we were in their seats. Maybe they could sell season tickets for each bench. Even better, they could hold a draft based on church activity, donations, etc... The most faithful members could pick which seat they want first. They could be Legacy Members. During the break between classes, they could go to the white tent and have steak and chocolate covered strawberries. There could be a drawing each week for the lazyboy front row seats or even the hot tub like at the baseball games.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Why would anyone want to sit in the chapel when there are couches in the foyer? I had the unfortunate obligation of attending church the past two weeks. Both were fast and testimony meetings. I really feel for you guys that attend every fast sunday. I think I'd rather go in for a bikini wax than have to endure that again. We got the weird looks from people because apparently we were in their seats. Maybe they could sell season tickets for each bench. Even better, they could hold a draft based on church activity, donations, etc... The most faithful members could pick which seat they want first. They could be Legacy Members. During the break between classes, they could go to the white tent and have steak and chocolate covered strawberries. There could be a drawing each week for the lazyboy front row seats or even the hot tub like at the baseball games.
Very good.

One thing - the Lazyboys would be in the back. Those who sit in the front want to pay attention.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

we have 5 wards in our building, we go at 9am another ward starts at 930. The 930 has sacrament first, we have it last, well the 930 ward is asked to exit out of the south side of hte chapel and we are asked to enter from the north side. Well their sacrament always goes late, we get out of our meetings early. It is an absolute logjam trying to get in, then most of them exit from the wrong side and some of my ward enters from the wrongside. It is a disaster. One lady leaves Sunday school early like 20 minutes and has to be first in line at the door, she puts her back to the door and holds people back, then she runs in and starts saving pews for people. Its an absolute joke, she will save 5 rows some sundays for random people. Both wards need to be split so we are talking 1000+ people fighting to go in and out. I always just sit in sunday school and BS until everyone clears out, its a lot easier that way.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Your ward had two fast and testimony meetings in a row? Just stocking up for later in the year, or what?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Your ward had two fast and testimony meetings in a row? Just stocking up for later in the year, or what?
We went to two different wards for baby blessings. Neither was ours. I never attend our ward. It gives them hope that I'll become active again. Then we get bombarded with visits from home teachers, visiting teachers, and bishopric members. I like it better when the forget about us.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
UteStar

In the past 10 years, I have been a member of 8 wards. This is the first time that I have ever seen mass savings of seats. It is very funny. Whenever I approach one of the 'savers' they always get defensive and talk about how they have to save seats because their kids behave better in the pews.

Seriously, if I was the scoutmaster, I would do it as fundraising. Just put two scouts at the door and if you want to save your seats, you have to 'donate' $1 to the scouting organization. I have no doubt that the scouts would clear $50 a week.

On another note...if I were to be bishop, I would have prohibited this on the first day in office.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
UteStar

Quote:
We went to two different wards for baby blessings. Neither was ours. I never attend our ward. It gives them hope that I'll become active again. Then we get bombarded with visits from home teachers, visiting teachers, and bishopric members. I like it better when the forget about us.
Boy, that is a new one. You get bombarded by visits from your home teachers? Doesn't that imply that there are home teachers that are actively going out and visiting their families every week? That is surprising and impressive and it sounds like for you, annoying.