cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
VAX77

VAX77
Default A Greek-Orthodox Priest knocked on my door last night

I was cleaning up my place last night before I picked up my wife and daughter from the airport last night. I got a knock on my door and when I answered it, a guy walking his dog was standing out there. He said he noticed my last name(it is Greek) on our window,(we had a sign with our name and address for deliveries-we live in a town home in Chicago). We start talking and he asks me if I am Greek-Orthodox. I respond that although my dad was born in Greece and my mom was Italian from Brazil (she and her parents were born there, from Italian heritage), both converted and I was born into the Mormon faith. At that point he tells me he is a priest and we talk a little more and he tells me that mormons are a cult. I asked why he felt that way, and he explains his point of view, how the Orthodox church can show direct, uniterrupted lines of authority from Jesus, etc. All the while, you can tell the guy knows his stuff. He says he had read the PofGP, D&C, BofM, etc. I believe he did. The funny thing was I was not offended by his approach. He was blunt, but very nice and friendly(sounds weird, I know).

I stopped him there and the first thing that came to my mind was, "Listen, if you really believe what you say you do and you did not tell me, I would be offended. So, I appreciate it, I really do." I went on to say, that I believed in what I believe in not just because it makes sense after a lot of personal study, etc, but because of a confirmation from God through prayer. I invited him in and we spoke for about 45 minutes. He said he wanted me to read some things about the Greek Orthodox Church and I told him I enjoy reading and studying other religions, which I do. I went to catholic school and I love studying philosophy, religion, etc. Not because I am searching for something, but because I really do enjoy it. I told him I had some things for him to read, starting with Joseph Smith, Rough Stone Rolling. (he had some issues with Joseph Smith and I really like that book and think it is an excellent reference to his character and nature, regardless of what one thinks about the vaildity of his visions.

Basically, we agreed to meet up and talk about politics, life, religion, etc. on a regular basis. I am really looking forward to it. Kind of cool.
VAX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Well that is very cool.

One of the most wonderful and genuine Christians I have ever met is Greek-Orthodox.

Like the gentleman you described, he is very committed and sincere in his beliefs, extremely well read regarding other beliefs, and yet able to engage with non-Christians in a respectful manner.

I hope you two will be able to meet up for discussions like you plan. Sounds like a great opportunity.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be interesting to know then if he considers all religions except Greek Orthodox to be cults? In those circumstances, I am not offended to be called a cult? It just means they don't think we agree on doctrine.

Sounds like a a good person.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I would have told him "you're right, this Mormonism is bunk, but I've discovered that it's Roman Catholicism that is true."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
VAX77

VAX77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I would have told him "you're right, this Mormonism is bunk, but I've discovered that it's Roman Catholicism that is true."
The only reason I am playing is along is in hopes of scoring some baklava....
VAX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAX77 View Post
I was cleaning up my place last night before I picked up my wife and daughter from the airport last night. I got a knock on my door and when I answered it, a guy walking his dog was standing out there. He said he noticed my last name(it is Greek) on our window,(we had a sign with our name and address for deliveries-we live in a town home in Chicago). We start talking and he asks me if I am Greek-Orthodox. I respond that although my dad was born in Greece and my mom was Italian from Brazil (she and her parents were born there, from Italian heritage), both converted and I was born into the Mormon faith. At that point he tells me he is a priest and we talk a little more and he tells me that mormons are a cult. I asked why he felt that way, and he explains his point of view, how the Orthodox church can show direct, uniterrupted lines of authority from Jesus, etc. All the while, you can tell the guy knows his stuff. He says he had read the PofGP, D&C, BofM, etc. I believe he did. The funny thing was I was not offended by his approach. He was blunt, but very nice and friendly(sounds weird, I know).

I stopped him there and the first thing that came to my mind was, "Listen, if you really believe what you say you do and you did not tell me, I would be offended. So, I appreciate it, I really do." I went on to say, that I believed in what I believe in not just because it makes sense after a lot of personal study, etc, but because of a confirmation from God through prayer. I invited him in and we spoke for about 45 minutes. He said he wanted me to read some things about the Greek Orthodox Church and I told him I enjoy reading and studying other religions, which I do. I went to catholic school and I love studying philosophy, religion, etc. Not because I am searching for something, but because I really do enjoy it. I told him I had some things for him to read, starting with Joseph Smith, Rough Stone Rolling. (he had some issues with Joseph Smith and I really like that book and think it is an excellent reference to his character and nature, regardless of what one thinks about the vaildity of his visions.

Basically, we agreed to meet up and talk about politics, life, religion, etc. on a regular basis. I am really looking forward to it. Kind of cool.
When I was at BYU I took American Christianity from Roger Keller and he said that their theology was more like ours than any other denomination. They reject original sin, their conception of the Godhead and ours are identical, and they have a modest concept of deification called "theosis."

Keller said it was because after the invaders from north sacked Rome, the Western church made a lot of changes while the Eastern one remained pure.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:58 AM   #7
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Like the gentleman you described, he is very committed and sincere in his beliefs, extremely well read regarding other beliefs, and yet able to engage with non-Christians in a respectful manner.
Great. Now even Babs thinks we're not Christian. Sigh.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:10 AM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Great. Now even Babs thinks we're not Christian. Sigh.
Mike seems to get violent when I imply that the churches are even similar.

Besides, the Orthodox friend I mentioned spends most of his time discoursing with Muslims, whom I'm pretty sure are comfortable being labeled non-Christian.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:13 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Mike seems to get violent when I imply that the churches are even similar.

Besides, the Orthodox friend I mentioned spends most of his time discoursing with Muslims, whom I'm pretty sure are comfortable being labeled non-Christian.
Notice UtahDan she deftly dodged your question. I suppose we've dissuaded her of any lingering doubts about our lack of Christianity. Well done Guard.

Last edited by Archaea; 06-22-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:51 AM   #10
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I guess we can now safely drop the act and start praying to Joseph Smith like we're used to, right?

In nomine Patrii, et Filii, et Josephi. Amen.