cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Literae Humaniores

Old 10-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default War and Peace New Translation/NY Times blog

War and Peace is virtual canon, and just as with the Iliad or the Bible, each generation is treated to multiple new interpretations of Tolstoy's masterpiece, originally written in Russian and French. The long awaited translation by the celebrated the husband and wife team Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, who have been busily translating all the Russian Classics, was released this month. This has promted an interesting blog (really, a virtual book club) in the NY Times' Books section.

http://readingroom.blogs.nytimes.com/

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it better than the NRSV?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
SeattleUte

You can now see examples of my brilliant literary criticism on this blog. (It's the NY Times and they have to approve it before it appears, so it must be brilliant.)

—Paul Auster
Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #4
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Is it better than the NRSV?
well done.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
War and Peace is virtual canon, and just as with the Iliad or the Bible, each generation is treated to multiple new interpretations of Tolstoy's masterpiece, originally written in Russian and French. The long awaited translation by the celebrated the husband and wife team Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, who have been busily translating all the Russian Classics, was released this month. This has promted an interesting blog (really, a virtual book club) in the NY Times' Books section.

http://readingroom.blogs.nytimes.com/
So are you going to read it? Personally, I like the idea of reading about other people who are reading it, but I could be convinced otherwise.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:03 AM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
So are you going to read it? Personally, I like the idea of reading about other people who are reading it, but I could be convinced otherwise.
As I explain in the blog, I'm not convinced this new translation is the one to read if you're going to take the time to read or re-read it. If I re-read the whole thing I might read the Rosemary Edmonds version published by Penguin. It's stood the test of time and the experts are saying good things about it, but same with Ann Dunnigan's which I haver read. But I'm not even sure it matters with modern languages.

—Paul Auster