cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 05-17-2017, 01:27 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thing is....my guess....I wonder we have a lot more needy Saints now. Or maybe it has always been this way. People whose lives are wrecks in many ways and the Bishopric and Ward Council are completely subsumed in taking care of those members such that there isn't a lot of energy left over for enhancing the quality of the ward experience otherwise. Instead of being architects, it's like being firefighters.

My guess is that it has always been this way. You look at the needs of the members in the early church pre-Utah, and it was a wreck. You look at the poverty in Utah and surrounding areas, it was a wreck. But they made do.

I just wish we could put a bit more financial resources back into our wards. I'm not asking for a Bishop in jeans, with a rock band, and motorcycles jumping through hoops of fire and Superbowl Sunday football firesides.

I guess the argument is that there is someone on the other side of the world who is getting an experience with the church versus NOTHING with the church, so we better suck it up and that's that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Another thing is....my guess....I wonder we have a lot more needy Saints now. Or maybe it has always been this way. People whose lives are wrecks in many ways and the Bishopric and Ward Council are completely subsumed in taking care of those members such that there isn't a lot of energy left over for enhancing the quality of the ward experience otherwise. Instead of being architects, it's like being firefighters.

My guess is that it has always been this way. You look at the needs of the members in the early church pre-Utah, and it was a wreck. You look at the poverty in Utah and surrounding areas, it was a wreck. But they made do.

I just wish we could put a bit more financial resources back into our wards. I'm not asking for a Bishop in jeans, with a rock band, and motorcycles jumping through hoops of fire and Superbowl Sunday football firesides.

I guess the argument is that there is someone on the other side of the world who is getting an experience with the church versus NOTHING with the church, so we better suck it up and that's that.
Retention is poor and Church is blah. The internet has made information available that leaders would prefer to avoid discussing.

Where are the efforts to tend to the needy?

Lots of organizational problems that need fixing.

Not an easy situation.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:52 AM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Both my current ward and my last ward have had a lot of needy folks. A lot of older single women that need A LOT of help. Poverty, health problems, mental illness, you name it.

A lot of this help is never publicly known even by other church members.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
Archaea

Quote:
Both my current ward and my last ward have had a lot of needy folks. A lot of older single women that need A LOT of help. Poverty, health problems, mental illness, you name it.

A lot of this help is never publicly known even by other church members.
People help. I am aware of that, but for an organization that wishes to fill the whole world with good works and to be a worldwide community, it is falling short, which any organization would do. It merely seems that the close-knittedness is gone.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

American society has changed. Mormons have changed too along the way.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:36 AM   #16
Archaea

Quote:
American society has changed. Mormons have changed too along the way.
Can the LDS Church still fulfill useful needs? People are moving further and further away from organized religion. The organization needs to reinvent itself.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:50 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I don't know what the solutions are. And it's not my job to steady the ark. God will prove Himself. One way or another.