cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I love this:

“J.F.K.’s speech was to reassure Americans that he wasn’t a religious fanatic,” Mr. Krakauer agreed. “Mitt’s was to tell evangelical Christians, ‘I’m a religious fanatic just like you.’”

Hee hee. Brilliant.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Has there ever been a more ignorant self-proclaimed expert on Mormons than Krakauer? I'm lumping in every one who has ever lived in there.

Going to K. to understand Mormonism would be like the Seahawks hiring SU as their general manager.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Has there ever been a more ignorant self-proclaimed expert on Mormons than Krakauer? I'm lumping in every one who has ever lived in there.

Going to K. to understand Mormonism would be like the Seahawks hiring SU as their general manager.
I agree. Krakauer is a Mormon ignoramus. Though I would say that Krakauer being an expert about Mormons is more like exUte being asked to explain why God cares about BYU football.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #14
SeattleUte

Krakauer has written a book on Mormonism issued by a major publisher. He has the credential the world recoginizes for expertise.

—Paul Auster
Old 12-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Krakauer has written a book on Mormonism issued by a major publisher. He has the credential the world recoginizes for expertise.
You are intentionally ignoring that opinion and fact are two different things.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #16
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

So who would you guys recommend? It seems that even Bushman tends to put a positive spin on things. I haven't read Krakauer's book and have no intention of doing so, but it's probably safe to assume that he puts a negative spin on things. I don't think it's possible to find an authoritative and unbiased treatment of something like this.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
actually what he has is the viewpoint that certain elites crave.

as much as you hate Mormonism, you couldn't get it wrong like Krakauer.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #18
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
So who would you guys recommend? It seems that even Bushman tends to put a positive spin on things. I haven't read Krakauer's book and have no intention of doing so, but it's probably safe to assume that he puts a negative spin on things. I don't think it's possible to find an authoritative and unbiased treatment of something like this.
I've seen some here calling Bushman an apostate.

—Paul Auster
Old 12-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
It's not so much that Krakauer puts a negative spin, but that he tries to pass off his opinion as fact.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:05 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
it's not so much that he puts a negative spin on things (which he does) , but it's that he fundamentally misunderstands Mormons and Mormonism.

He has done the intellectual equivalent of SU's favorite trick--read only the review and claim to have read the book. And hope no one notices.