cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2008, 03:35 AM   #21
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Wow... some of you bit hard.

Waters doesn't believe what he's saying. He's just using this argument to get people (specifically: Utahns) riled up. It entertains him.

It might even be the single motivating factor in his life.

If anyone was ever born a troll, Waters was.
I'm not a Jazz fan...I'm an outside observer...so I decided to opine from my Wizard-based viewpoint.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:33 AM   #22
Hsaru

Hsaru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Wow... some of you bit hard.

Waters doesn't believe what he's saying. He's just using this argument to get people (specifically: Utahns) riled up. It entertains him.

It might even be the single motivating factor in his life.

If anyone was ever born a troll, Waters was.
Waters doesn't even watch sports too busy complaining about the church and scouting and reading poorly written LDS literature, so I agree.
Hsaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #23
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Stats among PG's:

PPG: Paul #2, Deron #3, 2.2 point difference.
Blocks: Deron #4, Paul #18, 0.3 diff.
Steals: Paul #1, Deron #9, 1.6 diff.
TO: Paul #17, Deron # 22, 0.9 diff.
Assist: Paul #1, Deron #3, 0.9 diff.
Reb: Paul #3, Deron #8.
3pt%: Deron #6, Paul #13.
FG%: Deron #2, Paul #5.

It's pretty obvious Paul, this year, has the edge over Deron. On the other hand, Deron is obviously better in terms of shooting.

In the end, I don't think this debate is very interesting. This year, Paul is slightly (though significantly) better. Last year, Deron was better (sure, due to Paul's injury, but the difference was significant).

In the end, I believe that while Paul may end up being more dynamic, he will also tend to miss more games due to injury and will be less consistent than Deron. In that eventuality, Deron will end up being the better pick.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #24
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Stats among PG's:

PPG: Paul #2, Deron #3, 2.2 point difference.
Blocks: Deron #4, Paul #18, 0.3 diff.
Steals: Paul #1, Deron #9, 1.6 diff.
TO: Paul #17, Deron # 22, 0.9 diff.
Assist: Paul #1, Deron #3, 0.9 diff.
Reb: Paul #3, Deron #8.
3pt%: Deron #6, Paul #13.
FG%: Deron #2, Paul #5.

It's pretty obvious Paul, this year, has the edge over Deron. On the other hand, Deron is obviously better in terms of shooting.

In the end, I don't think this debate is very interesting. This year, Paul is slightly (though significantly) better. Last year, Deron was better (sure, due to Paul's injury, but the difference was significant).

In the end, I believe that while Paul may end up being more dynamic, he will also tend to miss more games due to injury and will be less consistent than Deron. In that eventuality, Deron will end up being the better pick.
Deron is shooting 51% from the floor, Paul is 49% not a huge difference. Paul has more points, rebounds, assists, steals, less turnovers per game and most importantly more team wins. What else is there?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #25
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Deron is shooting 51% from the floor, Paul is 49% not a huge difference. Paul has more points, rebounds, assists, steals, less turnovers per game and most importantly more team wins. What else is there?
2.1% difference. Not huge, but none of the differences is in any category (except maybe steals).
2.8% difference in 3pt%. Deron averages 3.7 FG Attempts less per game. He'd be leading Paul in scoring with more attempts.

Again, Paul obviously has a small advantage on Deron this year. Last year, it was the opposite, but the difference was more significant (mostly due to injury).

If I'm picking a PG for my team for the next 5 years, and have the choice of Paul or Williams, I'd probably go with Williams, solely due to reliability - Deron's showed no tendency towards serious injury.

I don't think anyone would go wrong with either choice.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #26
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
The one thing I'm surprised about is the difference in rebounding. I would think, with Deron's size & strength, he'd be a better rebounder. I'm guessing his defensive assignments prevent him from grabbing many.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

After watching a lot more of West and Boozer, right this minute, if I had to take a guy on my team, I would take West.

And Deron has been very impressive. As has Paul.

Boozer is a big disappointment right now. Esp. on defense.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #28
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
back in that first season?

They were right.
Paul is a fabulous player, but he is a scoring point guard. I don't know that he would have been better for the Jazz.

There have been a lot of great scoring point guards in recent memory: Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Glibert Arenas, Allen Iverson. Not one ring in the group, and Paul is arguably doing no more than Iverson did in his first few years in Philly.

Look at who has won championships lately. All teams with either a pure point guard or a pass first guy who can score. I will believe that a scoring point guard can win a championship when I see it. I would not build a team around one. It is the reason I hope my Zards can get Arenas out of town.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Arenas is a ball-hog. A ball-stopper. Per Charles Barkley. He's not a real point guard.

Paul might be the best passer in the game right now, and I give Paul the edge over Derron in terms of court vision and pasing.

The reason your argument is not good (i.e. stupid) is that Tony Parker is exactly that: a scoring point guard. He's definitely not a passing point guard. And I think Tony has a ring or two.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #30
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
After watching a lot more of West and Boozer, right this minute, if I had to take a guy on my team, I would take West.

And Deron has been very impressive. As has Paul.

Boozer is a big disappointment right now. Esp. on defense.
Jazz fans have been saying this all season. Actually, the last 2 or 3 seasons.

Deron last night was great. After the Rockets made a run, he came out in the second half and just dominated. Without Rafer, Houston was no match, and Utah ran away with it.

It'll be interesting watching the Jazz v. Lakers.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote