cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 05-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road
Default Do I dare ask for a reasoned recounting of the literary offenses of Jon Krakauer?

Or should I just drop it? Don't get me wrong, I fully realize Krakauer's greatest draw is not his writing, but rather the subject matter he chooses and his sometimes vague relationship with facts. That being said I don't recall anything egregiously anti-mainstream Mormon in "Under the Banner of Heaven."
Old 05-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll have to pull my copy out, but he was actually very subtle, yet not so subtle in his blatant misrepresentation of the Church and its culture.

And if you know something about climbing, perhaps you should compare Ed Viesturs No Shortcuts to the Top with Into Thin Air, to see what a hack he is.

It is a legitimate question but to give you a reasoned answer will require I go back and look at specific instances to illustrate my point.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've already said that is primarily what he chose not to include, as well as broad unfounded conclusions.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'll have to pull my copy out, but he was actually very subtle, yet not so subtle in his blatant misrepresentation of the Church and its culture.

And if you know something about climbing, perhaps you should compare Ed Viesturs No Shortcuts to the Top with Into Thin Air, to see what a hack he is.

It is a legitimate question but to give you a reasoned answer will require I go back and look at specific instances to illustrate my point.
Didn't President Hinckley quote Ed Viesturs' No Shortcusts?
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbamboo View Post
Didn't President Hinckley quote Ed Viesturs' No Shortcusts?
I don't know. I grabbed the book while waiting at the airport and found him to be a fascinating figure.

He has a safety first mentality, which has served him well. "Ascending is optional, descending is mandatory."

After reading his report, you'll find somebody like Crackhead to be completely sensationalistic and useless.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

I've read the criticisms of "Into Thin Air" and I have a good friend who just gets livid about the whole premise of "Into the Wild" so I've been thoroughly disabused of the notion that Krakauer is either a good or unbiased writer. But he does know how to pick interesting subject matter which I suppose is half the battle for an author.

As I said in response to you over in the other thread, I didn't see the subtle insults. Then again I'm not a member of your church so maybe it's just ignorance on my part. I have been known to mistake you all for the Amish so I guess it wouldn't be the first time.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
I've read the criticisms of "Into Thin Air" and I have a good friend who just gets livid about the whole premise of "Into the Wild" so I've been thoroughly disabused of the notion that Krakauer is either a good or unbiased writer. But he does know how to pick interesting subject matter which I suppose is half the battle for an author.

As I said in response to you over in the other thread, I didn't see the subtle insults. Then again I'm not a member of your church so maybe it's just ignorance on my part. I have been known to mistake you all for the Amish so I guess it wouldn't be the first time.
Well we who organically understand the faith caught his attempts at subtle deception. However, because he's not a good writer, nor unbiased, those outside the faith may not have caught on to his swipes. For that I can be grateful.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I would like Krakauer more if he clearly inserted and stated his own biases and interests. We would say "Ok this is his take, and he admits it, and it's as much an exploration of him as it is the subject material he tackles."

Well, this is what he does, but he does not say so, and that's what pisses people off.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #9
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
"Ascending is optional, descending is mandatory."
I've only walked up a couple >10K feet peaks, but that's the thing that I always think about in climbing--the getting back down when you're completely exhausted. It's not like once you're at the top you get helicoptered off...
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Or should I just drop it? Don't get me wrong, I fully realize Krakauer's greatest draw is not his writing, but rather the subject matter he chooses and his sometimes vague relationship with facts. That being said I don't recall anything egregiously anti-mainstream Mormon in "Under the Banner of Heaven."
He spent a long time rehashing Mormon history that to many of us is old ground broken by Brodie, Stegner and others, and not nearly as well written. He relied primarily on these works, secondary sources, and broke no new ground. I liked Into Thin Air, thought it was a well written, gripping read, even a classic in its own right, but this book felt sylishly klunky. The one unique element of his book was the true crime story and his thesis that Mormonism's violent culture and past bears a share of responsiblity.

I thought the thesis was a stretch, not well proven or developed, and kind of a truism about all religions in a way. Though I think a case could be made that the net effect of Christianity (Mormonism is Christian, isn't it?) has been to greatly modulate our or males' inherently violent and bloodthirsty nature.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote