cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 05-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #31
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Let's hope his own shot is better than the 40% he had last year.
I attribute Jimmer's shooting percentage to his playing time last year. If you take Jimmer's FG% from all the games he played 15 minutes or more last year his percentage jumps up to about 45%FG and 40% 3pt. I looked around and found that this is a common occurence from players who go from the bench to a starting role. Cummards fg% jumped up from his freshman year quite substantially as his mpg increased. Most the year Jimmer was in a situation where he either had to make a few quick shots or he was coming out of the game. So when he went in he had to take whatever he could get.

And as for the TO/assist ratio, as the year went on Jimmer got better at this. I beleive his to/ast was close to 2 through conference play.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #32
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof-Bball View Post
I attribute Jimmer's shooting percentage to his playing time last year. If you take Jimmer's FG% from all the games he played 15 minutes or more last year his percentage jumps up to about 45%FG and 40% 3pt. I looked around and found that this is a common occurence from players who go from the bench to a starting role. Cummards fg% jumped up from his freshman year quite substantially as his mpg increased. Most the year Jimmer was in a situation where he either had to make a few quick shots or he was coming out of the game. So when he went in he had to take whatever he could get.

And as for the TO/assist ratio, as the year went on Jimmer got better at this. I beleive his to/ast was close to 2 through conference play.
There's absolutely something to be said for player progression & for player consistency coming with playing time.

I've always been a supporter of Fredette getting more minutes as he gained experience - there's no denying that he's a player. And, I think by his Senior year he'll certainly be very much superior to Murdock (or Burgess if he ends up as a 2). Was he superior to Murdock last year? I don't think so - PERHAPS excepting the last few games of the year. Will he be superior this year? I think so - but I also think there will be some growing pains, especially early in the year, and mostly in the turnover department.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #33
Prof-Bball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
There's absolutely something to be said for player progression & for player consistency coming with playing time.

I've always been a supporter of Fredette getting more minutes as he gained experience - there's no denying that he's a player. And, I think by his Senior year he'll certainly be very much superior to Murdock (or Burgess if he ends up as a 2). Was he superior to Murdock last year? I don't think so - PERHAPS excepting the last few games of the year. Will he be superior this year? I think so - but I also think there will be some growing pains, especially early in the year.

I am going to have to diagree. If Jimmer would have got a shot at pg from the start of the season he would have been starting before conference play. I mean he only started playing pg in the second UNLV game and he had him beaten out come the MWC finals. And between the 2 biggest games of the season against the tougest competition Jimmer averaged 13.5 ppg 3rpg 2apg with a 4/1 ast/to ratio and shot Just under 50% from the field. Put those numbers against any of Murdocks best two games against CSU and Portland and it still doesnt compare.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #34
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Hardly a Murdock 'love'.

There's no question that, with Fredette at the point, there's a significant upgrade in terms of points out of that position and ability to drive the paint. No question at all that Jimmer's an upgrade in that respect.

The question that remains - and it's legitimate, as far as it goes - is whether Jimmer's increases in those areas will compensate for what (I am assuming) will be a significant increase in turnovers...

I would recommend not going to the 'pinnacle game' argument. It's not a very strong position to base an argument from. In fact, I have no wish to rehash the same arguments we had so long ago, over a player no longer with the team. Suffice it to say, I'm looking forward to watching Fredette be an exceptional player at BYU.
Why not go to the pinnacle game argument?

Doesn't it say a lot that Rose went to Jimmer in the most important game of the year, undoing a 30 game pattern and putting a frosh over a senior?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #35
Prof-Bball

In the MWC Finals we were -1 with fredette in the game, -16 with murdock and murdock wasn't even in those last minutes where wink went unconcious from the 3pt line and we kept fouling to try to get back in it.

In five minutes against a&m murdock was -11. Jimmer was +6.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

by the end of the season it was clear that Jimmer was >> than Murdock.

It wasn't even close.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3735115

Quote:
I've known for over a week that TP is gone. A friend and former player (who still is close to the team) told me that TP had no more desire to stick around. I didn't realize he had hired an agent, though. According to my friend (who is very critical of Trent), TP hears all the criticism and knows about his "reputation" amongst fans. He feels extremely undervalued and underappreciated. He has been told that he'll be drafted, so he'll take the opportunity.

This friend also says that TP lacks a work-ethic, and very seldom works on his game. Most of the players take every chance they have to play pick-up games...not TP. He hangs out and watches.
I hope the Knicks draft him. Or the Lakers.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 PM   #38
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

So is it official that TP is gone?
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Who gets credit for driving TP away?

I don't feel like I have enough visibility to take credit.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #40
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Who gets credit for driving TP away?

I don't feel like I have enough visibility to take credit.
Is this some sort of consolation prize for you since Tavernari is still in school?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote