cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies

Old 02-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

His position is weird, in that he's not an academic, not a reader, just a podcaster, who views the Tanners as legitimate historians. Does one need anything more than that to consider him anti-Lite? Except he has a forum and people actually quote him.

Too bad, anti's don't have an academic heavy-weight. Of course, that would require effort and regimen, instead of relying upon hyperbole and actual evidence.

There are legitimate questions a thinking person can raise, but when one is sloppy as Dehlin has been, you lose credibility.

Who uses podcasts? Marketers and people without time to do legitimate scholarship.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Archaea, that's also one of the main takeaway points of the article--that Dehlin is quite sloppy and intellectually lazy.

He gets a lot of material out there, but he's not exactly taken the time to be informed, much less be an expert.

Kind of like those radio talk shows where the guests are all plugging a book. The better hosts have actually read the book. Dehlin admits he likes the Larry King approach--virtually no homework at all.

It would be kind of like I jumped in and did this kind of thing. I would know just enough to get me into trouble. I could talk a good game, but I would be woefully ignorant on many subjects.

There's nothing terribly wrong with being that kind of podcast host. But when you are actually trying to start your own religious movement, you probably need to do a little bit of homework.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

He's an active member now. Not going to start his own religion.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
He's an active member now. Not going to start his own religion.
Or he is wont to say.

For the record, I don't care if he is active or inactive, but his projects seem to be bent on undoing the Church. That doesn't sound to me to be an active believer.

If I were his file leader, I would simply ignore him. His intellectual laziness will be his undoing.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
ChinoCoug

What I want to know if why he is so ignorant of pro-Church arguments and facts. Doesn't even bother.

He also admires the New Atheists. Even SU thinks the New Atheist arguments are sophomoric. They make crappy pop arguments.

He claimed that people who know the most about Mormon history don't find the narrative credible. Matt Bowman (PhD American Religious History Georgetown, in my ward) told me this isn't true.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
ChinoCoug

Richard Bushman's Faith Crisis Model .

1. Glass Testimony, everything is clear and pristine.
2. Goes on internet, glass breaks, either leaves church or...
3. Stays long enough, understands the historical context behind events, stays.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
What I want to know if why he is so ignorant of pro-Church arguments and facts. Doesn't even bother.

He also admires the New Atheists. Even SU thinks the New Atheist arguments are sophomoric. They make crappy pop arguments.

He claimed that people who know the most about Mormon history don't find the narrative credible. Matt Bowman (PhD American Religious History Georgetown, in my ward) told me this isn't true.
If he weren't so quoted in pop news circles, he would be worthless. And there are legitimate questions, even questions that can challenge one's faith, but Dehlin doesn't get it, because he lacks the work ethic and intellectual curiosity to evaluate the merits of claims to ascertain which groups are lost as well, i.e., the Tanners.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

my real world (ie not internet) experience with people who apostatize is that they are not deep thinkers. They are gloss. one exception to that among the people I know, and not surprisingly he is the least rabid of them.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Teryl Givens is trying to keep people in the church.

John Dehlin says he is "neutral" (apparently, if the article is accurate) while admitting that many more people leave the church because what he says than stay in. And he throws up his hands and says, well if that is the case, it's because of this dang leadership in the church.

Very different from what I do. Which is work with young people in the church, help them grow, teach them about testimony, and try to get them to fulfill their full potential (which I believe the church can magnify exponentially).

Yup, what Dehlin and I do are very different. And I'm just one small cog in one small place, doing what many thousands of others are doing. I would be surprised if even 1% of American Mormons have even heard of Dehlin or Mormon stories.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Or he is wont to say.

For the record, I don't care if he is active or inactive, but his projects seem to be bent on undoing the Church. That doesn't sound to me to be an active believer.

If I were his file leader, I would simply ignore him. His intellectual laziness will be his undoing.
Dehlin encourages people who leave the church to idolize Bob McCue as a way to find closure.