cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 03-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #31
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So is CB rabidly anti-trump?

I find that that A&M message board has a lot of pro-Trump sentiment.
I've heard it is. Mormons don't like Trump for whatever reason -- probably because they tend to be a little higher educated than the average, and Trump is not polling well in Utah. Purely for the entertainment value I'm kind of secretly hoping that draws Trump's attention at some point so he can hurl an insult toward mormons. That would be fun.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #32
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So is CB rabidly anti-trump?

I find that that A&M message board has a lot of pro-Trump sentiment.
You must've been banned from the political category.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:15 PM   #33
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Taxing capital gains lightly is a generally accepted principle everywhere, except in Denmark and Sweden where there is not tax they don't love.
I think that may be due to the fact that capital gains is very elastic. People move their investments around easily.

Taxing income would be relatively more efficient because the rich have shown that their work behavior isn't sensitive to taxes rate changes.

First rule of public economics is to tax inelastic behavior.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #34
BlueK

If you pulled a Hitler speech from the 1920s and replaced the word "Deutschland" with "Amerika" and "Jews" with "Mexicans" or "Muslims" would you find any significant differences with a Trump speech? Hitler talked more about expanding Germany beyond its borders. Maybe Trump hasn't talked about that yet, I guess. But I'm sure Hitler would have been right at home back then with the idea of building a wall to keep the Jews out or keeping them from coming back into the country if they were to leave on vacation or something.

Last edited by BlueK; 03-03-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

we almost made it to the third page w/o invoking Hitler.

This man has done nothing in his life to deserve to represent the US. Unfortunately we get the leaders we deserve.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #36
BlueK

He won't win the general if nominated. He will barely pick up a single vote from a non-Caucasian. The demographics of the US today don't work anymore for someone like that to win. The demos of those who elected Reagan would lose today. You can't offend everyone in America who isn't a crass, lower class white person with no better than a HS education and expect to win.

The media coverage makes it seem like Trump has 90% of the republicans in his back pocket now, but the truth is he barely cracks 35% in almost all states that have voted. He's lost 3/4 of the states so far where the primaries or caucuses are closed to non-Republicans, with a whole bunch of states like that coming up next.

The media keeps citing how he's winning in the polls in most of the states coming up, but it's hard to find anything very recent in most states. A poll taken in November is worthless now. On Saturday you have 4 states coming up, with all of them closed to those who are not registered Republicans. 3 are caucuses which tend to mostly attract hard core establishment types. Minnesota was one of those states last Tuesday and Trump took third. But it's not fun for the media to really talk about these things so they don't. The Trump juggernaut is a much more interesting story, so let's promote the narrative as much as possible.

But I think the idea of a brokered convention is more likely than a lot of people think.

Last edited by BlueK; 03-04-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Yes, I think we have seen peak-Trump already.

I get the sense that the wheels are starting to fall off this week for Trump.

Regular people, conservative movement people, and now finally the media are all finally shining a light on his scurrilous character.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #38
ChinoCoug

Trump won 40% of the Hispanic primary vote in NV. I've seen plenty of non-Caucasians who intend on voting for him. It's crazy....but real. This makes no sense.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

and women too. and "evangelicals".
Old 03-05-2016, 01:53 AM   #40
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Trump won 40% of the Hispanic primary vote in NV. I've seen plenty of non-Caucasians who intend on voting for him. It's crazy....but real. This makes no sense.
40% of the 25 Hispanics who chose to caucus with the republicans. The rest had already gone to the. Dem caucus about a week earler to vote for clinton.

Last edited by BlueK; 03-05-2016 at 01:56 AM.