cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default SC

bednar is coming to our stake conf. this weekend. in sac mtg yesterday it was announced that bednar would be taking questions after the priesthood leadership and adult sessions. Never heard of this. Common? Oaks did this when he visited our mission, but stake conf is a different beast. the bishop encouraged everyone to really think about the appropriateness of any question before asking.

I think I'm going to ask him if he would like to play some racquetball with me after the meeting.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

common
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

We had this happen in the Newport Beach when a visiting GA came....it was not an Apostle, but it was still pretty cool.

Most of the questions were meatballs over the plate, which was fine.

But one guy did have a really great delivery. It was unintentional, btw. He was actually being serious, but his tone was classic. It was as though he was convinced that he had asked a really deep question. I am paraphrasing on all but the intro and the initial response, which I remember very clearly for their awesomeness. I also remember the very last sentence by the GA clearly for it's sales pitchy radness.

Member: "When is the Church going to do something about the garments?"

*awkward silence*

GA: "What do you mean? Is there something wrong with our garments?"

Member: "No.....unless you are built like me. When you are heavier, garments are uncomfortable. Also, the legs are too long."

GA: "I am sorry to hear that your garments are uncomfortable. It is not well known, but you can actually have garmnets tailored to your body size at Beehive Clothing. They cost a bit more, but hopefully they will fit you better. Also, a reminder to all of us that regardless of fit, we are to wear the garment per our covenants...etc..."

Member: "OK, thank you."

GA to entire group: "Also, one other thing....the Church is coming out with lots of new fabrics, so if you sweat a lot, you may want to consider them."

I don't even think he had fielded the next question before I was emailing people the play-by-play on that interchange. It was a nice change of pace from the typical, "when are they going to build a temple in my old hometown" questions.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I asked a 70 who was soon to be an apostle, about how we could improve scouting. He said he didn't know, ask your local leaders, next question.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I asked a 70 who was soon to be an apostle, about how we could improve scouting. He said he didn't know, ask your local leaders, next question.
Yes, see I would categorize that in the non-traditional class, as well. While you were not trying to cause trouble, you are asking a legit question.

It seems that when the GAs show up, everyone is compelled to ask the same 5 or 6 questions.

At the time our GA came, the Newport temple was still in the permitting process and we were having a really hard time fighting the locals to get the final permits. Almost all the questions were about temples and permit processes.

Interestingly, there were no questions about gay marriage, even though Prop 22 had just passed.

That is why I found the garments question so refreshing. at least it was original.

I wanted to ask why 90% of GAs come from Utah. Didnt, though.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Yeah, I got the impression after that, that you were only supposed to ask "insider information" type questions.

Not how to practically improve the lives of the people around you. Those questions are fine, but they are not the purpose of the Q and A. The Q&A is for you to feel like you have an inside track on what is going on at the highest levels of the church.

Problem is that not everyone cares about what is going on in church HQ building.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:48 AM   #7
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Each of the GA's bring their unique personality into the calling, and I know two people who knew Bednar at Idaho, so I'll tell you what I've heard about him. They say he has been very unpopular amongst his peers for most of his life because he is exactly obedient to every commandment, rule, and so forth. A strict "letter of the law" over "spirit of the law" kind of guy. What they say is, he easily offends people because he'll walk out of the room at social gatherings if the conversation becomes inappropriate; he's the guy driving exactly 55 mph on the highway; he's the ultimate do-gooder.

In a quorum of right wingers, he's as far on the right as is humanly possible.

That's what I've heard anyway. I'd be interested in hearing your take after the SC.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:10 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Each of the GA's bring their unique personality into the calling, and I know two people who knew Bednar at Idaho, so I'll tell you what I've heard about him. They say he has been very unpopular amongst his peers for most of his life because he is exactly obedient to every commandment, rule, and so forth. A strict "letter of the law" over "spirit of the law" kind of guy. What they say is, he easily offends people because he'll walk out of the room at social gatherings if the conversation becomes inappropriate; he's the guy driving exactly 55 mph on the highway; he's the ultimate do-gooder.

In a quorum of right wingers, he's as far on the right as is humanly possible.

That's what I've heard anyway. I'd be interested in hearing your take after the SC.
good point. ask him something innocuous, but actually bends the rules a little and see what he says.

Better yet, ask him this "In Aaronic Priesthood Manual 3, the lesson on chastity makes no mention on masturbation. Why is that? What should we counsel to the YM of the church? I did not say anything, for fear of going beyond the lesson."

That should get an interesting response. It will tug him in a couple of different directions, and we will see which tug is more compelling.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:12 AM   #9
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

I think allowing members to submit anonymous questions to a general authority that are then answered in front of the entire adult membership is a good idea. This leads to some better questions that people would be too embarrassed to ask "on the record."

We did this when I lived in Minnesota and there were some good questions -- Two of the questions I remember were 1. Why are there at least three different versions of the First Vision? and 2. Why isn't there more emphasis on exercise and maintaining normal body weight in the Church (as part of the Word of Wisdom)?
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:13 AM   #10
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It will tug him in a couple of different directions...
Nice double entendre there.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote