cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
VAX77

VAX77
Default brokeback mountain...

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/01/08/D8F0BQI03.html

Perhaps by doing things like this, people give undesired attention to things they are hoping to keep down. Sometimes I think we are so afraid of somethings that we forget we have a choice in deciding whether or not to walk into the theater and watch the movie....
VAX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes but doesn't the proprietor have the right to sell what he wants to sell?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
VAX77

VAX77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Fair enough, I was just commenting on how the national attention to jordan commons would bring the opposite of what they were trying to accomplish. Why not only have one showing in the custodial closet at 4 am or something :wink:
Old 01-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
i hope larry and that stupid idiot lady from utah eagle losers is boycotting every single movie that shows people hooking up outside the bonds of marriage....

because in reality somebody hooking up outside the bonds of marriage is just as bad as two gay dudes hooking up outside the bonds of marriage. they are in reality one in the same.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #5
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
He has every right in the world to show whatever movie he chooses to show. My only problem with the decision is that it points out the ridiculous level of homophobia that exists here in Utah. The same theater is showing the movie Hostel, a truly depraved movie with absolutely no redeeming qualities. If LHM is going to shut down a movie because he objects to its morals, he ought to at least have the sense to pick the right movie.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #6
Archaea

What release said LHM objects to the morals of Brokeback Mountain? I missed the release, as the only info I saw said, we regret to inform you it will not be shown, and apologize for any inconvenience.

Did you get another release?
Old 01-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #7
Archaea

Who here would go see a movie to see a guy and a gal get laid, especially out of wedlock?

Oh gee, unless my wife is pulling me to it, no way Jose.

So I'm supposed be in favor of two humping cowboys beautifully photographed in Wyoming (where that stuff would really be acceptable, big sarcastic tone), by capable acting staff, and voila, it becomes Academy Award winning stuff.

I don't know what the Hostel entails, as once I started reviewing slasher components, it lost my interest so much I couldn't even finish reading the review.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I lost respect for LHM during the Bulls/Jazz championship series. He proudly announced to the media that he would not be attending the Sunday game as he was personally going to keep the Sabbath day holy. Nevermind that he sold the 18,000 tickets and had no problem selling the concessions etc... So, I'm watching the game on tv in Boston with a bunch of non-member friends who are asking me why LHM won't watch the game, but I will. I tell them that he is trying to do what he thinks is right for him, but that I don't have a problem with watching a Sunday game. Well, what happens after the first quarter? LHM is caught on camera watching the game. He's kind of peeking around a corner to watch as though if he just peeks he isn't breaking the Sabbath (by his definition, not mine). So, after taking this stand he is seen by the entire nation watching the game anyway. I thought it was ridiculous and embarrassing. My friends couldn't get over how little discipline the guy seemed to have.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:55 AM   #9
VAX77

VAX77

[quote="Archaea"]

So I'm supposed be in favor of two humping cowboys beautifully photographed in Wyoming (where that stuff would really be acceptable, big sarcastic tone), by capable acting staff, and voila, it becomes Academy Award winning stuff.

quote]

I am not saying that I do not object to two gay cowboys getting it on, I am just pointing out the attention that is brought to the movie by not showing it. If LHM is trying to send a message or not, he is either way. He could seriously just have one showing at a odd time or something and it would accomplish what he wants. Personally, I am all for not going to it, but I think istead of always focusing on how this and that offends me, I can focus more on my choice to participate or not.

I also agree that LHM pronouncing his decision to the world about the sabbath day while profiting off of it is kind of messed up. We do not have to wear our religion on our sleeves. There was a family that took us out on my mission a few times. Every time the waiter would ask us about a drink or coffee, their response would be " I am mormon, I do not drink alcohol, coffee or other harmful substances because it is against my religious beliefs"...I had to order a drink just to get through the meal :wink:

This is a difficult deal because I also recognize that ultimately it is LHM's decision as the owner of the theater....He could be smarter though.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:38 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur

He has every right in the world to show whatever movie he chooses to show. My only problem with the decision is that it points out the ridiculous level of homophobia that exists here in Utah. The same theater is showing the movie Hostel, a truly depraved movie with absolutely no redeeming qualities. If LHM is going to shut down a movie because he objects to its morals, he ought to at least have the sense to pick the right movie.
At the same time, by choosing to run with a story like this, the media in the rest of the country is demonstrating an anti-Mormon bias. If a theater owner in New Jersey chose not to show this film, nobody would care.

While I choose not to see this film, I have no problem if a theater owner chooses not to show it, nor do I have a problem if a theater owner chooses to show it. I'm not worried about the perception of Utah that others outside the state have, as I don't care what they think. I enjoy it here and that's all that really matters to me.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote