cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many times have you rooted for your school's rival to win?
0 8 38.10%
1 1 4.76%
2-5 4 19.05%
5-10 1 4.76%
More than 10 3 14.29%
Countless times 3 14.29%
I always root for my team's rival except when playing my school's team 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default How many times have you rooted for your rival?

I can only remember one time ever rooting for BYU. It was a basketball game many years ago. Utah had two conference losses, and was ranked about no. 12 in the polls, New Mexico had one conference loss (to Utah), and was ranked no. 4 nationally. New Mexico played BYU in the Marriot Center on the last game of the season and if BYU won Utah and New Mexico would have tied for the title. I really wanted BYU to win that game. But they let me down. That is the only time I recall ever not rooting against BYU in any game it played.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Never, I intended to when I went to the Fiesta Bowl. My older sister was with me. I couldn't bring myself to actually wear red, which should have been some kind of a sign right there. As soon as the utes ran out on the field and everyone around me started cheering. I looked down there at them, and I just couldn't do it, I couldn't even muster up enough enthusiasm to clap my hands. There was not one little part of me that felt at all inclined to cheer for them. My sister is not nearly as devoted to BYU as I am, but I looked over at her and she was just standing there completely silent with her hands in her pockets. She leaned over and asked "are you really going to cheer for them?" I told her I thought I could, but turns out my blood is bluer than I'd suspected. We cheered for Pitt.

Last edited by Black Diamond Bay; 11-28-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Saturday, after watching the "holy war" with my uncle's family in Pleasant Grove, I spent the day there and we watched the BYU/UNC hoops game. I rooted for BYU, because I was surrounded by BYU fans and I knew they wanted BYU to win.

Was I supposed to be sore because of the football game? If so, sorry. I guess I got over it in a hurry.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Saturday, after watching the "holy war" with my uncle's family in Pleasant Grove, I spent the day there and we watched the BYU/UNC hoops game. I rooted for BYU, because I was surrounded by BYU fans and I knew they wanted BYU to win.

Was I supposed to be sore because of the football game? If so, sorry. I guess I got over it in a hurry.
James 1:8
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
fuegote

fuegote

In football, it's good for the MWC when both schools do well. Financially I support both schools whether I want to or not (taxes to the U, tithing to the Y).
I was happy when BYU beat Miami but still wanted the U to beat them when they played. When the Y was still undefeted in 2001 I was okay with it, but still wanted the U to beat them.

I have a hard time "hating" another team when I'm supposed to be free of hate and contention.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
I have a hard time "hating" another team when I'm supposed to be free of hate and contention.
It's been my observation that many people's "hatred" for other teams is fueled by a very, very small minority of those team's fans that say and do stupid things in public. For example, it is rediculous to "hate" Boise State in general because five of their fans have been leaving taunting posts on Utefans over the past year.

It boils down to what a person chooses to absorb: the thousands of "opposing" fans who leave everyone alone and just enjoy the game, or the few who make asses out of themselves. If a person wants to hate the other team, they will dwell on those asses only.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:25 PM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I rooted for Utah in the NCAA championship in 98. I was actually pissed when they lost.

Does picking Utah to win a tourney game in your bracket meaning you're cheering for them? Because I have done that as well.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I rooted for Utah in the NCAA championship in 98. I was actually pissed when they lost.

Does picking Utah to win a tourney game in your bracket meaning you're cheering for them? Because I have done that as well.

Invariably I start to root for Utah in games like this, and then I start to get happy if they're losing.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I enjoy the participation in athletics of people I know. My family attended BYU and Utah. When family participated in Utah athletics I rooted for them individually even as I rooted for BYU as a team.

Of course, I did not grow up in Utah nor spend any time there except for the time I spent at college.

However, I see Utah as a cousin, whom one supports everywhere but at the family tackle football outing at Thanksgiving.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:09 AM   #10
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post

Well I did attempt to draft Steve Smith onto my fantasy football team. I don't think that counts though.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote