cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riding with spouse

Ok, so, I'm picking up cycling the last couple of years, and as I go out, I see what appears to be husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend out riding together and having a wonderful time.

I'd like to get my wife to ride....but, if the truth be known, 16 years of marriage, three kids later, and my wife is not in the physical shape that she used to be...and she does not want to ride.

I'm thinking that it is pretty much due to the fact that she feels pressure to jump into the tight fitting cycling uni's and she does not want to do the ypical cycling attire. (of which I told her there are loose fitting options etc...but to no avail)...

So, the question is...do most of you ride with your significant other, or go out on your own? I think this would be very, quality time to spend together, time to chat, visit etc....but, she's not interested.

I'm up for suggestions on how to get your wife/girlfriend to ride, get beyond the 'look' of cyclists and to begin using cycling as a good way to exercise.

Thanks in advance.
The Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

One word:

Tandem.

My wife, who is actually much fitter than I, doens't like to ride a bike herself, but she likes the tandem very much. It is great expecially for people fo different strngths, as you always stay together and you can each get pretty much the owrkout that you want.

If you are interested, let me know as i would be happy to give you more info than you would care to have.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

if you ever figure out how to get your wife interested, let me know.

btw, I was on a ride once, and there was a seriously huge fat chick with legs like redwood stumps, who was seriously fast.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:16 PM   #4
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
My wife, who is actually much fitter than I,...

I would have thought differently by the pics you posted...
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
I would have thought differently by the pics you posted...
Yea, my wife was a little annoyed by those photos becasue of their misleading nature in that regard.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310

If she doesn't want to ride, don't pressure her. The spandex may be the issue, but again, it may be something entirely different. After 16 years, you'd think you could pick up on clues, but who knows? ;-) Could be saddle issues, balance, changing gears, etc.

My wife enjoys getting out and riding with me on Saturday road rides, but most places we ride, we have to go single-file. Can't get much chatting in then. I'm always pulling, and she's drafting, and she has a really hard time hearing anything I say. She also likes being on her own bike and having control over her speed and cadence. No tandem for us (which is fine by me). A slow ride around the neighborhood would give you chat time, but reduces the exercise level.

I work near Provo Canyon, and I'm able to get out for about an hour of mountain biking several days a week at lunch time. Wife can't do that, so she gets out on her own after work, when she can.

Just enjoy your time on the bike. Maybe invite her for a 15 minute ride around the block, just in street clothes. See if she enjoys it. Go slow.

Last edited by mtnbiker310; 07-21-2006 at 06:47 PM.
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea how to motivate a woman to do anything.

They will do it, not to be with you, but to be with friends at their pace. Riding with a spouse can be nothing but an argument. Or it can be fun; it depends on her mood.

Find a riding group with the types of people she likes. That may get her interested.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:11 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My mom occasionally rides with my dad in a group.

make sure it is a casual no-drop ride. nothing sucks more than barely hanging on for 20 minutes, bonking, and watching everyone ride away.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:33 PM   #9
creekster

I feel like a missionary at the Vatican.

Let me say that I was not a proponent of tandems before getting one. My wife had never even thought about riding one before I got one. One day I had been at an out of the office meeitng and in driving back to my house saw that a bike shop I know was going out of business. I stopped to see if I could get a deal on something and they had a tandem for a ridiculaously low price. I contacted another bike shop owner and asked him about the deal and he said, essentially, that I should get it because the most I would lose would be 50-100 bucks even if I resold it immediately. So I bought the tandem. At first my wife was a little unhappy (ok, quite unhappy) becasue even though a great deal still not cheap. She did agree to try it, however, and so began our actual mutual enjpoyment of bike riding as an acitivty.

They say Tandems are marriage makers or marriage breakers and this seems ot be true. Couples either really like them or really dislike them. If you are the former, (as we are) it is a great chance to sdhare bike riding with a spouse. You guys shouldn't be so reluctacnt to try it or so quick to dismiss it.

Plus, tandems, while a bit sluggish on the hills, are FAST on the flats and downhills. So you can enjoy them in other ways besides the moments of togetherness.

Like a broken record, I again advocate that you all try them and that anyone wanting more info about finding one to buy, etc., contact me as I would be happy to help.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:48 PM   #10
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sorry Creek

...just can't see liking them. Seems that unless you have an athletically inclined wife...there would be a continual struggle on "you're not peddling hard enough"...or "I'm doing all the work" etc.

Also, I just can't see the one in the back enjoying it as much as the one in front...kind of like "the scenery never changes if you're not the lead dog" sort of thing.

Differing/shifting body weights seems like it would be a pain in the neck as well....I just don't see myself as one who would like it.

I'm doing my best hang on to riders in a line as it is...let alone having to worry about those things.
The Borg is offline   Reply With Quote