cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Polygamy as an attractant

I have a friend whose parents immigrated from Africa. His grandparents were polygamists. He tells me he was interested in investigating the Mormon church, until he found out that we reject polygamy.

I think he was kidding. But I also think that in kidding, there is a nugget of truth.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

I was on a medical school interview in L.A. and rode with a Russian taxi driver back to the airport. We had a long conversation in Russian (my mission was in Ukraine).

This guy went on and on about how he loved Mormons, how his son had gone to dental school with a lot of Mormons and respected them so much, etc. Then he launched into a defense of polygamy, saying, "One woman is not enough for any man. I love my wife, but she is like a sister to me. I'm not attracted to her. No man can ever be satisfied with just one woman. I think polygamy is a wonderful thing." etc.

I half-heartedly explained that the mainstream Mormon church has nothing to do with polygamy anymore but he was so positive about the idea of polygamy that I felt like I was bursting his bubble a little bit. Maybe he would have decided to be baptized if I would have just played along.

Last edited by CardiacCoug; 06-07-2008 at 03:11 AM.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote