cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Lost

The first season was fantastic. Second season started to get a little annoying by continuing to open up new issues but never seeming to close old ones. But the last four episodes have gone a long way to fix that.

I love the “Henry” and Desmond characters. Love the new angle with Desmond and Penny.

My theories, mostly not original but pieced together from stuff I’ve heard from others:

1. Desmond thought he was sacrificing his life with the fail-safe key, but I think he’ll come out of it OK. The story is too good with Penny introduced to kill him off.
2. They can’t bring Walt back because he’s grown so much, he looks ridiculous. He’ll grow even more before season three. We might see a little on Michael and Walt in the first few shows next season to get closure, and maybe Michael will keep recurring occasionally in back stories, but they’re gone. Would have been better for “Henry” to just shoot Michael and Walt in the season finale—so maybe that’s a clue, leading me to the next item.
3. “We’re the good guys”. I think this was too important not to be true. Kinda like when Darth Vader told Luke he was his father. So who are the bad guys? Hanso is the bad guys. Others are the good guys—at least in their minds.
4. Sick of Star Wars geeks theorizing about clones. “Maybe Walt/Michael/”Henry”/Desmond’s a clone?” SHUT UP!
5. Sick of theories that imply the Others or Hanso manipulated all the Losties to board the same plane from Australia, and for the plane to go down right at the right spot, and for the important Losties to all survive the crash. We’re dealing with randomness and fate and coincidence and maybe some spiritual or magical element, we’re not dealing with a conspiracy!!!
6. Jack and Kate gave each other a look, like Jack still has his plan intact, but Jack’s an idiot and I don’t trust any of his plans.
7. Sayid’s a bad ass, and he’ll be the one to save Kate, Jack, and Sawyer—it will consume most of the first half of next season.
8. On Penny, three theories
a. Penny is looking for an electromagnetic anomaly because her dad (Hanso connection) manipulated Desmond to the island and Penny looking into her Dad’s business, discovered he’s on some island somewhere that has a major geomagnetic phenomena. The Libby business of magically being in the right place at the right time makes you stop and think about this for a second but NO, BAD THEORY. Nobody got manipulated to the island! You want to manipulate someone to the island, you conk them on the head, tie them up, and drop them there.
b. Penny is not looking for Desmond. She’s an executive in her dad’s business and is trying to locate the island. The Hanso organization lost control of the island, vacated, and now they can’t find it again. Not a bad theory, but I’m rooting for the love angle. Especially since she still has the picture of Desmond and her on the nightstand.
c. Penny attached a locating device to Desmond’s book. She lost the signal when he reached the island. She’s investigated it and found nothing could cause a lost signal for that device except for some electromagnetic force. Thus, she’s hired the team to look for that specifically. Penny’s on the case and she will be the one to eventually find and free the Losties, reuniting with Desmond. I’m going with C.

Problems/Questions

1. Smoke monster. What’s the deal?
2. Why would the Hanso Foundation be mixing a psychological experiment with a task so apparently important as resetting the magnetic charge? Isn’t the whole thing either a psychological experiment OR a vital scientific operation but not both?? Isn’t that like finding a nuclear bomb about to go off, setting up a team of scientists to diffuse it, and then setting up another team of psychologists to mess with their heads while they’re doing it? What’s up with that?
3. Libby. What’s her deal? I hate the Libby is involved with Hanso theories, but her offering the boat to Desmond did give me cause to rethink it. I still think her involvement is chance, and that her reason for being on the plane was most likely that she was stalking the multimillionaire Hurley.
4. Tom/Zeke once quoted Alvar Hanso, referring to him as a very smart man. This goes against my theory above that the others are rebels against Hanso, good guys/bad guys. Who are the others? what are they doing? why are they still conducting experiments? What did they do with Walt? What did they want with Claire’s baby? What’s the deal with vaccinations? Why did Henry tempt Locke with not pressing the button anymore, if he knew how important it was? Lots of questions about the Others that still aren’t making sense. I hope they all get answered in a reasonably logical way over time.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

interesting thoughts.

why was Libby in the psych ward, looking all doped up?

I like the "good guys" theory. The others want only the best, smartest of our clan to help them fight Hanso. Perhaps.

Unfortunately we won't know the answers for years.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

good thoughts Jay... there can't be scientific explanations for everything though... how is that that all the losties had ties in their former lives with each other? that is strange to me..
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I missing out by not watching this show?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Am I missing out by not watching this show?
Season One I would say yes....

Season Two, well, let's just say it opens more questions than it closes....

I think the final four episodes would have been great mid-season episodes. In all reality nothing has been solved from the first season, and there are too many loose ends to tie in another season....

I am thinking we are at least two seasons away from getting any sort of resolution.....
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:43 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug
good thoughts Jay... there can't be scientific explanations for everything though... how is that that all the losties had ties in their former lives with each other? that is strange to me..
Yes, I agree there can't be scientific explanations for everything. But there must be some sort of explanation.

To explain why the losties interconnected in their former lives, I hate the theory that Hanso/Dharma manipulated it all. It's just too impossible, and now that we have the explanation for the crash from Desmond, I think that puts it to rest. Likewise, I think it's too much of a stretch that Desmond was manipulated to the island.

I can handle explanations that aren't scientific. I'm OK with a fate/spiritual/magical element to the island and the story. That's what I accept when it comes to why the losties are interconnected or why Eko's brother crashed on the same island...
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #7
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

It would be nice to tie up a few things. Like the bird that was vaguely saying Hurley as it dive bomb the group (I had to rewind it a few time to see if it really did say it, I am still not sure). Where do the animals that appear go to after they are spotted? What happened to the smoke monster? Where does the French lady go when she leaves? It would seem to me that Sayid or Mr. Echo would know when they are being watched by the others of the French lady. What is so magical about the bearing 352? Is that the only way to get out of the magnetic flux?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
Yes, I agree there can't be scientific explanations for everything. But there must be some sort of explanation.

To explain why the losties interconnected in their former lives, I hate the theory that Hanso/Dharma manipulated it all. It's just too impossible, and now that we have the explanation for the crash from Desmond, I think that puts it to rest. Likewise, I think it's too much of a stretch that Desmond was manipulated to the island.

I can handle explanations that aren't scientific. I'm OK with a fate/spiritual/magical element to the island and the story. That's what I accept when it comes to why the losties are interconnected or why Eko's brother crashed on the same island...
Maybe the entire plot is for Hanso to prove the Kevin Bacon Six Degrees of Seperation.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Season One I would say yes....

Season Two, well, let's just say it opens more questions than it closes....

I think the final four episodes would have been great mid-season episodes. In all reality nothing has been solved from the first season, and there are too many loose ends to tie in another season....

I am thinking we are at least two seasons away from getting any sort of resolution.....

come on fus! you love questions!
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug
come on fus! you love questions!
Well, only questions that cause me to question my faith.....

There are too many loose ends, I think it has gotten too big, in the sense that this season answered zero questions. Too boot, no love connections except a quicky involving Sawyer have been made....

Can you imagine the sexual tension on the island?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote