cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LOST -- what the hell?

meaning, is this hell?

Ben is the leader of the others because he communes with Jacob. Ben is the only one who can see and hear Jacob.

Ben is special.

Everyone suspects John is special too for some reason. Hence John comes into camp, and he is given a sort of God-like status.

When Ben suspects that John heard Jacob, this is a threat to his power, and John must be eliminated.

But why not put a bullet through John's head? Many years of watching TV tells me that when the guys is not quite dead at the end of the episode, he will survive.

That is good, because I like John. He is an interesting character, the only "man of faith."

So Ben is a prophet. And John could be a prophet.

That's my take.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

They keep throwing hints at us from a million directions. There are the frequent Wizard of Oz references. Then we have an Alice in Wonderland hint with Benjamin following a white rabbit. They also throw the bible at us with Benjamin getting his name because his mother dies in childbirth and now he answers to a man named Jacob. Now, if I could only make any sense of any of these hints.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
meaning, is this hell?

Ben is the leader of the others because he communes with Jacob. Ben is the only one who can see and hear Jacob.

Ben is special.

Everyone suspects John is special too for some reason. Hence John comes into camp, and he is given a sort of God-like status.

When Ben suspects that John heard Jacob, this is a threat to his power, and John must be eliminated.

But why not put a bullet through John's head? Many years of watching TV tells me that when the guys is not quite dead at the end of the episode, he will survive.

That is good, because I like John. He is an interesting character, the only "man of faith."

So Ben is a prophet. And John could be a prophet.

That's my take.

The writers are on record saying the island is not purgatory and the characters are not dead. I don't know what to make of last night's episode, but it was a good one.

Ben took John to Jacob for a reason and then killed him for a reason. Maybe Ben thought he could scare Locke into submission? But then when he couldn't he had to kill him. I'm 50/50 on whether Locke is really dead. Better writing would leave him dead. Too cheesy to do the old bad guy turns and walks away from a dying good guy only to have the good guy recover. But the island healing powers certainly leave the door open.

The biggest question I have is that based on the back story of the hostiles/Others I wonder where they get the resources to do all this investigative work on the Losties, recruit new Others, and do the surveilance like on Juliet's sister. They seem poor and resource lacking based on the back story.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are all the new supplies coming from, if not from Dharma?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Where are all the new supplies coming from, if not from Dharma?
I suppose that's where their financial backing has to come from, but why would Dharma support a hostile group that genocized all their employees on the island? Not just the supplies but the $$ it takes to do everything the Others have done with respect to recruiting, investigative work, etc.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I suppose that's where their financial backing has to come from, but why would Dharma support a hostile group that genocized all their employees on the island? Not just the supplies but the $$ it takes to do everything the Others have done with respect to recruiting, investigative work, etc.
Ben has lied before, so why is it that we believe him now?
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

And why is it that the guy who found Ben in the forest as a kid hasn't ever aged?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Ben has lied before, so why is it that we believe him now?
What do you mean by we're believing him now? I don't take anything he says at face value. And even more so that witch Juliet.

Also, two more items.

1. Why do all the Others believe Ben was born on the island when he told the hostile (Richard) that he was not born on the island the first time he met him?

2. Why did Richard not age in the 30-40 years between when he first met Ben and now?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
What do you mean by we're believing him now? I don't take anything he says at face value. And even more so that witch Juliet.

Also, two more items.

1. Why do all the Others believe Ben was born on the island when he told the hostile (Richard) that he was not born on the island the first time he met him?

2. Why did Richard not age in the 30-40 years between when he first met Ben and now?
Ben's dad hadn't appeared to age at all either. They looked like buddies, not father and son when Ben offed him.

My question about Jacob is why he asked John to help him. I hope this isn't some weird things where they're stuck in another dimension or something.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Ben's dad hadn't appeared to age at all either. They looked like buddies, not father and son when Ben offed him.

My question about Jacob is why he asked John to help him. I hope this isn't some weird things where they're stuck in another dimension or something.
My theory as to why Jacob asked John to help him right now is that Ben has some power over Jacob which Jacob, whoever or whatever he is, is trying break free of.

I also would be disappointed with a time dimension or other supernatural explanation on what Jacob is.