cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2008, 01:43 AM   #111
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Is it really that binary? I think we've amply discussed in this forum that the reason(s) for excommunication often go well beyond helping the sinner repent. Helping the sinner repent is indeed one legitimate reason for excommunication, but there are plenty of other reasons to formally sever the ties between a particularly wayward member and the church.
1) I don't think it helps the sinner repent. It's certainly not a necessary step to help the sinner repent.
2) I'd love to hear another reason (out of the "plenty") to formally sever the ties between the church and a member who desires to change his/her life.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:47 AM   #112
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Kicking them out for crimes is almost a legal requisite.

Most members don't commit crimes, but all members commit sin.
I still don't think you have to kick them out of the church--just keep them out of certain positions. This isn't that difficult, and is necessary even when they are excommunicated (in order to prevent them from being rebaptized and called to these positions).
Old 08-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #113
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It is God who has instructed the men in a disciplinary council to do what it is they do.
Sorry...I don't believe this. I don't doubt their intentions to sincerely help the person, but I don't believe in a God who turns his back on a sinner who wants to be part of his Church. We'll probably just have to agree to disagree, although I'm open to hearing your reasoning.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:59 AM   #114
ERCougar

I'm with Santos on this one. Sorry for the string of replies but this is an issue that has touched my life on multiple occasions. I posted on this before:
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...ght=discipline

In sum, I think the church discipline system, except in the case of the member who has no desire to change or return to the church, does as much harm as good. I don't fault those who are involved in them, I fault the policy. I think it shifts our focus from eternal to temporal, and I think many of the responses in this thread illustrate this shift--everyone seems to think we need to institute some sort of temporal punishment for sin.

It's Fowler's Stage 2. Can't we move beyond this?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 AM   #115
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I'm with Santos on this one. Sorry for the string of replies but this is an issue that has touched my life on multiple occasions. I posted on this before:
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...ght=discipline

In sum, I think the church discipline system, except in the case of the member who has no desire to change or return to the church, does as much harm as good. I don't fault those who are involved in them, I fault the policy. I think it shifts our focus from eternal to temporal, and I think many of the responses in this thread illustrate this shift--everyone seems to think we need to institute some sort of temporal punishment for sin.

People in stage 2 and 3 are comfortable with neat rules that translate, "a man commits adultery, he is thus ex'ed." They like those rules.

I don't find scriptural references to support the punishment aspect for the repentant sinner.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:07 AM   #116
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:

What is Fowler's Stage 2? Link? Book?
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:27 AM   #117
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
What is Fowler's Stage 2? Link? Book?
http://www.amazon.com/Stages-Faith-P...9807481&sr=1-1

Interesting read that SIEQ suggested a few months ago. Written by a Catholic, IIRC, whose research team interviewed thousands of people, from atheists to fundamentalists, about their faith stories, and then came up with a model describing stages of faith and connecting them to known stages in developmental psychology. I'm still in the middle of it (I got distracted and am currently finishing a different book) and so I can't speak too intelligently about the different stages, but I have had some fun trying to identify the different stages of people on here.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:21 AM   #118
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry...I don't believe this. I don't doubt their intentions to sincerely help the person, but I don't believe in a God who turns his back on a sinner who wants to be part of his Church. We'll probably just have to agree to disagree, although I'm open to hearing your reasoning.
The flaw in your thinking is that discipline represents "God [turning] his back on a sinner."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:23 AM   #119
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... but I have had some fun trying to identify the different stages of people on here.
Uh-oh. Are you going to post a list?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #120
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
I still don't think you have to kick them out of the church--just keep them out of certain positions. This isn't that difficult, and is necessary even when they are excommunicated (in order to prevent them from being rebaptized and called to these positions).
Sorry but I'll go ahead and disagree with you and state that men (or women) who sexually abuse little children and physically beat their wives, deserve to be kicked out of the church.