cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 06:00 PM   #1
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Walkenhorst

I just read that article about Walkenhorst. It hits home to me on many levels, a few of which I think I can share.

Yesterday, we went to the funeral for my wife's best friend. She suffered from severe depression, and had some strong medications for it. One night, she took her medication (I don't think the autopsy determined that she overdosed - and the circumstances ruled out suicide), which made her very tired. She then took a bath and fell asleep and drowned.

My wife has had severe neck pain for years. Right before the Rush Limbaugh stuff came out, her pain management doctor prescribed her oxycontin. She was on it for a couple of months, but she hated feeling like Ozzy Ozbourne (she used to shuffle around like him), and then the news about Rush Limbaugh's addiction came out, and she took herself off of it. She was not told how addictive it was. The withdrawals she went through as she came off it (even quicker than recommended by the doctor) was truly hellish for her. (Fortunately, she recently had neck surgery, which seems to have helped a great deal with her neck pain.)

Having seen firsthand (and these are not my only experiences with these issues) the difficulties that depression and prescription drug addiction cause, I have very strong respect for Walkenhorst. I also applaud him for going public with his story - depression and prescription drug dependence both have a social stigma to them, especially among church members, which often cause people (unwarranted) guilt and often keep them from seeking help from those around them.

My respect for Bronco has also increased, seeing that he has been sensitive to Walkenhorst's problems and is giving him a full opportunity to complete his college eligibility and contribute to the team.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I also have great respect for Walkenhorst as well. As someone who has suffered with depression throughout the majority of my life let me say it can be very difficult to overcome. The social stigma against people with depression exist and it is something that society needs to work on. I left my depression unchecked until I was 23 because I was ashamed of it. I hid it from everyone I could and even close friends and family were either not aware of it or not aware of the extent it was a problem.

In the end I finally seeked help and have been able to control it. I'm glad to see that Walkenhorst has learned to deal with his problems as well. I am happy to see that he is open and honest with his problems. I think people like Walkenhorst who are visible can go a long way to removing the stigma that is associated with mental disorders like depression.

I for one am putting the rivalry aside and pulling for Walkenhorst to have a great season this year. More importantly I hope he is healthy the whole year and has no relapses in his problems.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where is this story?

I don't know anything about it.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #4
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a Gordon Monson story linked several pages back on Cougarboard.

Here's a link:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_2978230

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote