cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
WJCougar

WJCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who is dominant in the MWC?

If BYU wins the MWC this year, that makes it BYU, CSU and Utah all with three championships in football. So as much as Utah has dominated these past two seasons, BYU could even things up this year. Also, that would put BYU and Utah at 3 wins each in the rivalry during the 2000's.
WJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:44 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Ecuaboy,

First of all, if BYU wins the conference championship this year, I will have five pizzas delivered to your home.

Second of all, I find it a stretch to call them a "dominant team" if they win said championship after three straight losing seasons.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
belboz

belboz

I agree.
Even 3 championships in 3 years isn't dominating.
Anything less than 5 is merely a good run.
belboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
WJCougar

WJCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thanks Ute forever.

You proved my point. Only in Ute land would 2 championships in 5 years be dominating. My point was, and you have to agree, that if BYU wins the MWC this season(send the pizzas over ASAP) then there is NO dominating team in the MWC. What it would prove is that Utah, CSU and BYU are the three best teams in the league since the league was started in 1999.
WJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:41 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Go read your first post in this thread. It was you that made the comment that Utah had dominated the conference the past two seasons.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:54 AM   #6
Ute NYC

Ute NYC
Default While I think Utah can (will) win it, I think BYU and CSU...

Will be in the hunt.

This conference basically blows past those three. TCU will be a welcome addition but not a force yet.

When a conference basically has 3 teams that always do it then something is really wrong. I see the final Utah/BYU game as the one game that determines the whole ball of wax.

Thanks Archea, this board is actueally level headed.
Ute NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:35 AM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It's difficult for me to prognosticate

who will win this year.

One should start with Utah as they have been top dog, two years running but they lost a lot from last year.

UNM will be good.

Wyoming has a very good coach and should contend.

I'm hoping BYU contends, but without any games having been played, I won't go out on a limb and predict it, given they have lost quite a bit.

No reason to splice words of "dominate" or "contend" as this year should be closer than last, IMHO.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:43 AM   #8
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think I want parity in the conference. I want 1 or 2 really good teams, consistently fighting for the conference championship, 1 or 2 okay teams, and then I don't care about the rest. The more good teams we have, the more losses they give each other.

Our conference is in a position it really hasn't been in. With the breakup of the Big East, we have a unique opportunity to possibly take the Big East's place in the BCS. It's all perception now. If we're beating up each other, so the conference champion has two conference losses, that's just not going to do it. We've got to prove that this is a better conference than the Big East.

The conference champion needs to finish in the top 10 every year. That's not going to happen if it's a different team each year. What got Utah there last year was the great record the year before and the high preseason ranking. The runner-up has to be in the top 20.

Look at the Big East. They lost their 2 or 3 best teams and suddenly they're the Mountain West.

We also have to beat the BCS schools consistently - at least the top 2 or 3 teams in the conference do. I don't think we have to consistently beat the USC's and Miami's and Florida's - the BC's and Arizona's will serve the purpose just fine.

For at least the next five or so years, I want 2 or 3 teams to basically do it every year. Parity is death to the conference's hopes of being invited to play with the big boys.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:44 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Excellent post SoCal..

I agree that parity would only hurt the conference in the long run.

The area that would help the MWC most would be in OOC games. Win the majority of those games and that would garner respect.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:40 AM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

With Wyoming likely to get pasted at Florida, TCU likely to get pasted at Oklahoma, and Colorado State visiting the Buffaloes all in week one, Utah looks likely to be the only MWC team who could make any noise in the polls early on this season.

Fans of other schools may be tired of looking up to the Utes atop the standings, but that's the reality of the situation, and the best thing for this conference would be for Utah to win another 10 this year.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote