cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default im not excited about the season....

especially after the teams performance on saturday.

i thought they were poorly coached, lacked discipline, and the fire to get the job done.

o-lineman are too fat for what they are trying to do. beck has to have the worst mechanics of any qb at byu in the past 30 years. the defense is poor and the offense sub-par.

the silver lining to all this, its too be expected from a group of players who have tasted almost nothing but failure at the div 1 level, coupled with a head coach who has been in strictly losing programs and youd think it can only get better. i predicted a 7 win season, im still a homer, but i think 6 realistically is a decent goal. and 40 points a game? give me a freakin break.

i still say scrap the hc for non-lds students at byu. have them sign a different code of conduct and have them work out any disciplinary problems with a seperate office specific to non-lds kids. give the team 2 academic waivers and get serious again about building a strong program. theyve pumped too much money into football to tuck tail and turn spiritual.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The HC should be dropped for more than just athletes.

It has always bothered me that there are people at BYU who are paid to ferret out sinners and enforce Church rules. If I go to BYU, why is it anybody's business if I drink a cup a coffee with my bagel in the morning? What a person chooses to eat or drink or inhale on his/her own time, in his/her own apartment is really nobody's business.

I talked with a guy once who was not a student and not a member of the Church. He took a summer job in Provo and rented an apartment near his place of work. The apartment happened to be BYU approved housing. This guy was up in Salt Lake City one day, and he happened to be smoking a cigarette. Somebody in his apartment complex saw him, reported him, and effectively got him kicked out of his apartment. Am I the only one that is disturbed by that sort of thing?

Students that go to BYU are adults. BYU is supposed to be an academic institution. It is not EFY with books. If you attend BYU and are a member of the Church, any sins you commit are between you and the Lord. Not between you, the Lord, the HC office, and nosy student informants.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

not to mention it probably interferes in the repentance process.

i.e. Joe doesn't not want to tell Bishop because Bishop may not sign ecclesiastical endorsement, even if he "repents" therefore Joe continues onward as ever.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:15 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default While I agree that the Honor Code needs to be adjusted

for non-LDS athletes, there are a number of problems that would arise by doing so. What about the non-LDS students who aren't athletes? What about the LDS athletes who never grew up in area that didn't have a strong LDS influence? What about the fact that this is the Church sponsored school and it is reflects the values of the Church?

If the Honor Code is relaxed for the non-LDS athletes, should the standards of the Church be relaxed for investigators who may have a bit of trouble accepting things like the Word of Wisdom, pre-marital sex, tithing, etc.?

The Honor Code isn't the problem. It's the people who run the Honor Code office that need to change. The stringent rules seem to be so inflexible that the Savior himself would't be allowed into the testing center.

Keep the Honor Code intact, introduce the pople that work in the HC office to a school of thought that considers the spirit of the law and while recruiting, emphasize again and again exactly what a kid is getting himself into should he sign with BYU.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote