cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you use the word mulatto?
No, it is old and outdated, only someone like exute would choose to 15 62.50%
No, it is offensive 3 12.50%
Yes, I think it is great 1 4.17%
No, but I see nothing wrong with it 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2008, 02:43 AM   #11
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Do people still use that word? I've never heard it spoken in person, and only occasionally encountered it while reading turn of the century American novels in English classes during my undergrad.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:24 AM   #12
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Do people still use that word? I've never heard it spoken in person, and only occasionally encountered it while reading turn of the century American novels in English classes during my undergrad.

Until exUte, the only instance outside of old literature where I've heard/read the term came from Woody Allen. He explained that the reason he's a decent jazz clarinetist is because he's mulatto, with a black mother and white father, and vice versa. But I think he said that 30+ years ago, and I suspect he has retired the joke.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:47 AM   #13
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

You two are funny. I have heard people of color and people of mixed race use it many times. SU from the lily white northwest has no idea what is offensive or not to people of color. Race relations to him, just like the modern church, are something he only understands as an intellectual exercise but has little personal experience with.

I don't know where Waters really is on this because who knows whether he believes what he says from moment to moment. The fact is that neither of them have ever had anyone tell them that is an offensive word. Just one more chance to appear enlightened. If you have to try to convince people you are enlightened...never mind.

Do a google search for "mullato and offensive" and you will turn up several discussion threads with people who purport to be of mixed race saying that do not find it offensive. Since I default to not wanting to use words that I remotely think are offensive, I probably will choose another word in the future, but not because two guys who don't have the least idea whether it is or isn't say so.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:06 AM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
You two are funny. I have heard people of color and people of mixed race use it many times. SU from the lily white northwest has no idea what is offensive or not to people of color. Race relations to him, just like the modern church, are something he only understands as an intellectual exercise but has little personal experience with.

I don't know where Waters really is on this because who knows whether he believes what he says from moment to moment. The fact is that neither of them have ever had anyone tell them that is an offensive word. Just one more chance to appear enlightened. If you have to try to convince people you are enlightened...never mind.

Do a google search for "mullato and offensive" and you will turn up several discussion threads with people who purport to be of mixed race saying that do not find it offensive. Since I default to not wanting to use words that I remotely think are offensive, I probably will choose another word in the future, but not because two guys who don't have the least idea whether it is or isn't say so.
This is gibberish. I don't know what you're saying. Regardless, mulatto is like "negro," totally inappropriate. Who has called Obama that? I don't care what your google search turns up. Anyway, you're from lilly white northern Virginia, George Allen country, not DC. I venture I'm the only one here who's lived in DC for any appreciable time, except maybe Requiem. What you prove is that ceratin people live in a cocoon no matter where they are.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:06 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post

LOL. "Waters and SU are wrong to tell me not to use it anymore. But I'm not going to use it anymore."

Please use it all the time, you coward.

You can just imagine a guy from Pocatello saying "I hear blacks use nigger all the time, they do not find it offensive, but I guess I'll probably stop using it myself."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:07 AM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This is gibberish. I don't know what you're saying. Regardless, mulatto is like "negro," totally inappropriate. Who has called Obama that? I don't care what your google search turns up. Anyway, you're from lilly white northern Virginia, George Allen country, not DC. I venture I'm the only one here who's lived in DC for any appreciable time, except maybe Requiem. What you prove is that ceratin people live in a cocoon no matter where they are.
exactly. guy is whitebread Utah and trying to tell me what's up.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:13 AM   #17
Hsaru

Hsaru is on a distinguished road

I heard the term tossed around a few times when Kris Humphries was on the Jazz, didn't seem to be in a racist tone, not a word I would use though.
Hsaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:13 AM   #18
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I actually don't live in Northern Virginia and, like you, I went to law school in DC. I understand that you don't view an absence of first hand experience with something as an impediment to taking a condescending position with respect to it. It just goes to the nearly imperceptible weight an opinion like that carries. Now, I think you were just about to explain how this is fresh proof that the LDS church is attempting to arrest the progress of western civilization. I didn't mean to break your train of thought.

Last edited by UtahDan; 09-02-2008 at 04:26 AM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:14 AM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsaru View Post
I heard the term tossed around a few times when Kris Humphries was on the Jazz, didn't seem to be in a racist tone, not a word I would use though.
by whom?
Old 09-02-2008, 04:18 AM   #20
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
LOL. "Waters and SU are wrong to tell me not to use it anymore. But I'm not going to use it anymore."

Please use it all the time, you coward.

You can just imagine a guy from Pocatello saying "I hear blacks use nigger all the time, they do not find it offensive, but I guess I'll probably stop using it myself."
Waters, I've lived in Virginia almost my entire life. Most recently in the piedmont which, though not as diverse as the tidewater area, is pretty diverse. I'm just telling you I have never before today heard anyone say that was an offensive word and I know I have heard people of mixed race and people of color use it.

If there are some who are offended by it, it is news to me but the English language is big enough that I can find another word. I'm just mocking you and SU's feigned moral outrage. These are the games you play though.